Breast cancer at 26

• 9 replies
  • 16 subscribers

I have just been diagnosed with Grade 3 breast cancer, they say they are out to cure but my mental health is really struggling. I am currently undergoing chemo the tiredness is hard but I have no idea what I should be doing in my day to day life, really struggling not going to work and the huge change this has had on my life. Still got about 6 months of chemo wondering if there are any tips or advice from people to help pass this time and help me mentally 

• Hi,

I've not been on this site for a long time (my diagnosis and details are in my bio) but I've just logged on and seen your post.

There are no right or wrong ways sweetheart to deal with what your going through....mental health is a real struggle for some so maybe have a word with your Oncologist about speaking to. Psychologist?

As for day to day just take it one day at a time....maybe start a new hobby or do some gardening or yoga or catch up on any shows you like watching.

I don't know if your in the Breast Cancer main group...used to be lots of people on there with great advice.

I wish you all the best x

• Hi @char2206 how are you doing? I think the only way to get through this is just to put your head down and keep going. It feels like such a long road but then all of a sudden you are at the end. I think what helped me the most is a what’s app group I am in with other cancer patients, so I would definitely recommend joining a support group as they are really the only people that will truly understand. This website has been a great help too so you are in the best place x

• I have been okay thank you about to have my third cycle, since I posted this I have been speaking to a lady who I sat next to having my chemo she has given me her number and we do speak and it really has helped a lot as I was struggling and didn’t get much support from the hospital. Found a new hobby in crocheting and I try get out for a walk whenever weather is fit. The small things are really keeping me going so hopefully these next few months do go fast. 

• Dear Char

Well done on still going to work! I have discovered that painting really helps me cope emotionally.  I also write a lot. The other thing that i am doing is taking anti depressants. I am on citalopram as it is safe to take while getting chemo. Don't suffer, talk to your oncologist and GP. Talking to others really does lessen the burden. 

• Hello,

I'm 27 and have recently been diagnosed (still waiting to hear how severe it is) so I imagine that we're probably going through similar emotions and thoughts.

I haven't started chemo yet, due to start in a few weeks time so I can't talk from experience yet, but a few articles I have read have mentioned to try and have some kind of routine especially if you aren't working. So going on walks or trying to do light exercise like pilates and yoga. 

Thinking of you and hoping that you've found something that works for you <3 

• In 2 weeks I will be half way through treatment and even though some of my rough days drag the time does come around fast. When I’m feeling low energy from chemo I’ve found that the little things to pass time have been my saviour. Knitting, reading, colouring etc. Then for me it’s about 7/ten days later when I feel up to it I can go out for walks, meet friends etc and for a few days things start to feel almost normal. 

mental health has really improved with the help of routine, speaking with a counsellor and just generally adjusting to this new temporary life 

• Glad things are going ok for you  you are doing so well! I never believed people when they said I was strong but now that I’ve finished chemo I can see that I really was strong, and you are too. Just keep going and you will be out the other side very soon xx

• its so true, even seeing this I posted a month ago I can't believe how far I have come and how strong we all are 

• The human spirit is amazing and I always wonder what we as a species could achieve if we could just put differences aside and be kind