Recurrence boo!!

• 5 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi,

So I'm currently having chemo for the second time for breast cancer. I was diagnosed at 23 and had 9 months of chemo, surgery and radiotherapy and now I'm 29 and it's back. I'm about to have my third round of chemo.

I don't really know what I want/am trying to say. I just feel a bit weird. I've never been one for feeling down but I think I might feel a bit pants!! I'm still so glad for what I have, I have a safe home, family, enough food and by some miracle, the cancer was found again. I hate feeling like this and know I have so much!! I have ASD and emotions are completely alien to me, I either feel good or not normal. I definitely feel not normal but don't know why or how to fix it!! 

Maybe what I want to to know is, has anyone else felt pants? And what did you do to sort it?

Thank you and keep being awesome!! 

• Hi Sunshinekid

I hope you don't mind me replying to you but I saw you had not yet had a response so by doing so it will hopefully bump your post back to the top.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through chemo for the second time after having such extensive treatment the first time. 

I had chemo and radiotherapy myself back in 2022 and I know it is not easy. Feeling down and weird is totally understandable in the circumstances and I think most people would feel the same.

Do you feel you can talk to others about how you are feeling? I had a brilliant CNS and often chatted to her and the other nurses during my chemo sessions. My sessions took all day so there were plenty of chances for a cuppa and a chat and sometimes it helped just when they agreed - it was rubbish and chemo is rubbish and cancer is rubbish. 

It is great that you have family support and I found that the support of people around me made things a lot more bearable- it wasn't easy but it became doable. 

We have a Support Line that you are welcome to call and you can ask them to see what is available in your area in terms of support but they can also give you some information about some counselling that is available through Bupa/Macmillan- if you feel it would help.

Hopefully someone will now see your post and offer some support, but in the meantime I wish you well with your treatment and if there is anything else you need, please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi sunshine kid

Wow you are so young, I am 36 and was diagnosed in Oct 23 with stage 3 breast cancer with metastatic lymph nodes aswell, the treatment has been harsh to start with still not had surgery got a full year of treatments and surgery and more treatments ahead, 

Sad to hear it came back for you cos its so hard all the chemo and things it's not that we can't do it it's just tough being young and being so restricted kind of to living your life comfortably. 

I have awful teary nights myself wondering what my future will be I have 3 children I cry thinking they may not have a mum (even tho I got told it can be treated) I have a great family and friends but feel like I don't really want to go out the house.

Your not on your own my love it's so much on are heads it's a massive fight mentally and physically. 

I have good days to and I think that's what we need to focus on as much as possible 

Anytime you want to chat give me a shout as I'm also struggling with not feeling great 

Keep strong my love 

• Hi,

Sorry I didn't know anyone had replied!! Thank you so much, how are you doing? I can't imagine how hard it is for you right now, especially with children! It must be horrendous for them.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and what a lovely one too!! 

Much love 

• Thank you so much for the reply!! Sorry I didn't know anyone had so I feel terrible for not thanking you. I have a great BCN but they are so busy with so many patients I don't like asking or get much chance to talk face to face. I think I'm feeling better about it all so thank you so much!!

Big smiles 

• No problem - am glad you are feeling a bit better about it and that you have a support BCN. I hope the rest of your treatment goes well

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm