Losing weight before surgery

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight into the impact of weight on surgery eligability?

I read recently of someone who had been told they wouldn't be considered for surgery until they had a BMI under 27. Has anyone in Scotland had the same issue?

I have just started the risk-reducing mastectomy pathway and have my first appointment in March. I'm a pretty healthy person and never thought much about my BMI as I know it's been scientifically criticised for its inaccuracies but now I'm worried that they'll expect me to lose loads of weight before they'll consider me for surgery. 

Is it worth contacting the genetic counselling team to ask if I should start losing weight before the appointment so that it doesn't slow down the process?

Any advice is immensely appreciated! 

• Hi Emilia42 welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear how confusing things are for you. I don't know the  answer to  your query but I imagine it will be more to do with the anaesthetic than anything else but your idea about contacting the genetic counselling team is a good one and may well be worth getting in contact with them.  

gail

Community Champion Badge