New Relationship

• 8 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hello, I lost my wife to breast cancer just before Christmas 2022. My experience so far must have been shared by many others, guilt, grief, loneliness and a complete loss of confidence. I have recently met a widow and have become very fond of her. My children have said they are happy if I'm happy but I still feel guilty and unsure about their real feelings. I've just turned 80 and don't want to live the rest of my life alone. Has anyone else been in this position?

• Hi  

I'm very sorry to read that you lost your wife to cancer over a year ago and I can understand why you wouldn't want to spend the rest of your life on your own.

I'm not a member of this forum, so don't have the experience you're looking for, but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Wishing you all the best

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Bongo

I am very sorry for your loss but very happy that you have found someone now. I think, and pardon for any misunderstanding, that at 80 years old, you just damn well enjoy it !!! Quite right. Seems like your children say so too.

I really wish you well. Grab the chance while you can..

All the very best to you.

Hugs

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Hi Bongo , my wife of almost 30 years recently passed away from Cancer of the liver after surviving bowel cancer . Although i have no intention of doing so at present ,something she made clear right from when we discovered there was no cure was that i shouldnt remain alone and lonely if someone should come along i feel happy and safe with... im sure thats something we all would want if we were in our spouses unfortunate position ....

• Hi Bongo,

So sorry for your loss, and I know all those feelings you mentioned. Like Torneo below, my wife did say that she wanted me to be happy and understood that I might meet someone else, and told me should would understand. We only discussed it the once but after she had died I found a note from her saying exactly the same thing, and making it clear she wanted me to be happy. So, if you are happy, then go for it.

I hope all goes well for you.

Best wishes,

Derek

• We never ever discussed anything along those lines. At the time all I was concerned about was how I would survive without him and he told me I was the strong one in our relationship and that I will be fine and go on to support everyone else around me. i'm not looking for anything like that just now still early days (I'm not even a year in from losing him) but if it were to happen I suppose would be nice but nothing I want to force just now just getting used to being on my own for n after 40 years of us being together but if you feel it's right well then as everyone else here is saying go for it. Take Care

x

• Thank you all for your wise words and comfort.

Dave

• Hi. 
    I hear you. One of the main things my hubby said to me was that he didn’t want me to be alone for the rest of my life. I’m sure all our loved ones felt the same. If losing our spouses teaches us one thing it’s that life is too short. 
    Try to lose the guilt and do whatever makes you happy. Moving forward doesn’t diminish the love you had for your wife. I’m sure your children just want you to be happy again. Take them at their word rather than overthinking it. 
    Only you can make the decision of whether you’re ready or not but if this new person makes you happy then go for it 

Live for today 

J

• I have really found love for only the second time in my life and will look forward to marrying her in the near future. We have not forgotten the first loves in our lives and talk about them all the time. Thanks all