Is it only 6 weeks

• 2 replies
  • 33 subscribers

I can't believe it's only six weeks since I lost my husband.  It feels like a year or only a few days.  I have started trying to sort out some of the things he hoarded but can't seem to find the energy. I went to the pool at the gym, was walking backwards when I walked into another person also walking in the pool.  She rightly had a go at me for not looking but instead of just accepting it I ended up having a minor panic attack and in tears,  I am obviously more vulnerable at the moment than I thought.  It feels very odd that one minute I'm fine and getting on with things and the next I'm a wreck - not necessarily in tears but feeling totally unable to cope and unable to make even minor decisions.  I don't want to talk then I  desperately want to talk.  I thought I was managing just fine but obviously not.

• Hi Clancy

So sorry to hear of the loss of your husband.

Please don't berate yourself for accidently bumping into someone... You were not 'at fault' and she had no right to have a go. Sadly over the coming weeks and months it won't be the last time that a smell, a word, an image or song will evoke a memory and you will feel the memories flooding your mind as the tears flood your eyes. 

Try to embrace the memory and enjoy the images you are seeing,  Talk to friends and family when you feel ready and take everything at your own pace. 

Mym x

• Hi There! 

You will experience this and it is early days for you. I am 7 months in from losing my husband to bowel cancer and it still feels quite `raw` for me. There are days when I don't want to go out or see anyone still and then there are days I could take on the world. Sometimes it is still hard for me to comprehend that he is no longer here. I get up in the mornings (eventually) on my own and go to bed at night on my own. Being on my own though strangely doesn't seem to phase me that much as when my husband was here he worked away a lot so I was on my own most of the time anyway but this time it's different and he's not coming home. I try too to keep busy but for all the activity I try to do, I still feel an `emptiness`. Maybe some counselling will help you you can find out about that here. I have been receiving bereavement support just now and it helps with just being able to speak to someone how you feel and they will be able to put you right as I have been told what I am feeling just now is normal and how I feel each day so I'm not imagining I am going insane. I have been told that the grief will ease but may not leave completely but will in a way that I can build a life around it for myself. I just hope so. My best wishes to you going forward. Take Care.

Vicky x