The next few weeks...

• 9 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I would just like to say, especially to many of those amongst us that are new to the site this year... The next few weeks can and most likely will, be that bit harder. (how is that even possible?)

A simple trip to the shops or anywhere out the house means the likelihood of encountering Christmas! Plastic Santa's bellowing "ho, ho, ho" , piped music announcing"T'is the season to be jolly" , the constant reminders of happier Christmases past, all underlining the stark reality... of facing Christmas without our loved one.

Overwrought by the feelings that you want to run away, hide and not emerge till, the last piece of tinsel has been packed away, "Old Lang Syne" has been sung and the festivities have finished.

It's really not a good time when you are grieving, regardless if it is the first or tenth year without our beloved partner. For me, Christmas week also means my beloved late husband's birthday, our wedding anniversary, followed 24 hours later by Christmas Day, then New Year's Eve is an awful reminder that this was the very date we first learned of the cancer that was attacking my husband!!

Sadly, I have no magic words to impart to help myself or any of us cope with the underlined loss that Christmas brings to us. Other than to say, remember that we are here to support one another and we can all understand the raw grief which can feel so overwhelming in the run up to Christmas and the New Year.

Sending hugs to everyone x

• Dear Polka 

So well said and very true . Just wanted to say thank you for this.

We all know the next month or so will be hard, but it will pass, and we will come through it I am sure.

With hugs 

Take care 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Sorry Pooka not Polka !

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Pooka/Polka.. no worries Fifinet , Laughingit's not my real name. Slight smile

• Hi Pooka. Sorry to here and I think your words will resonate with many on here. Think you are the a similar predicament to me. It is just 3 months since my wife passed and she fought cancer for 9 years. In December last year she was still able to make it to Munich for the Christmas markets, but her condition deteriorated from January onwards. We always did everything at Christmas and New Year together. This year everything feels artificial. Hearing all the Christmas songs in the car which would normally bring joy don't any more. I've got invites for the festive period, but it won't be the same... I will try however. You've got to and maybe I'll decorate the house on 1st December and see if that works or doesn't. If not I'll just hide behind the tree.

• Hi Forsyb

Sorry to hear that for you it will be the first Christmas... Hopefully the invitations you have received will work out okay and you can find comfort with friends/family.

Just take each moment as it comes and if you need to take a few minutes away from everyone, I am sure they will understand. 

Sadly, this will be my third Christmas.. my husband was diagnosed new year's eve and passed away just a few months later. 

• My wife who only recently passed hated Christmas because her mother and father both died some time ago her mum of brain cancer at at 43 her father at 58 heart failure so Christmas was a time she hated 

• Hi!

It's my first Christmas this year without my dear husband. He passed in June this year after an almost two year battle with bowel cancer. I have not given it much thought at all. He wasn't a great one for Christmas though a bit of a `bah humbug` but would have it in anycase more so over the last couple of years for our little granddaughter. This time last year he began to become very ill and this was more or less the beginning of the end for him I think. Christmas was a `write off` last year as he was in bed most of the time. He got up for a few hours and tried to eat his Christmas dinner but just went back to bed after it. After that it was a succession of hospital admissions where he constantly contracted sepsis and it was his final bought of that back in June which along with his advancing cancer which took him. His body just gave up in the end I think. I sometimes forget he is gone and then it will hit me like a wave that he is gone and he's not walking back through the door and I can't share any opinions or decisions or plans with him or if anything good or bad has happened he's not here to see it. My best wishes to you all going forwards.

Vicky x

• Hi Vicky,

It is so hard to not have our loved one beside us, sharing our news, our decision making, our laughter. 

How we long to have them back with us...  

But, personally, I try to remind myself that I would rather not have my husband here for Christmas or any other time, than to have him here in the sick, painful and ravaged demise that cancer had reduced him to. Death was kinder than the awfulness of living with his cancer. 

Hopefully you can spend some time with family and enjoy seeing your granddaughter over  Christmas time.

Raise a glass to your husband and take time to remember some of the happy times of cherished  memories. Be kind to yourself x

• Hi Pooka,

thanks and realise my wife's passing is more recent in August 2024. I am going day to day at the moment, probably a touch of PTSD as I thought I'd got over flash backs to her passing and prior deterioration. I'll need to raise that at my counselling session this week! I do enjoy the Christmas songs on the radio in the car (plugging Heart Radio). December last year we managed to spend Christmas in Munich, how different this year. But the long run into the festive break this year will be a challenge to me. More so as I'm still off on bereavement leave and not back to work (I work from home - extra challenge) from home until January 2024. I do have the works nights in December out which I'll force myself to go to attend. And I'll participate in "pass the bereaved parcel" round the relatives over the festive break. I'll still try to think she is there in spirit, for this year at least which sounds very Dickensian of me. But cold reality is she is not.