Is it too soon

• 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I lost my soulmate last April after nearly 39 years of marriage together.  I was totally lost, alone and didnt want to carry on. We didnt have children but we were close to the majority of our neices and nephews and my sister. Yes I had family contact but it was not the same as having your loved one beside you. My wife always had her life planned, in the six months before she left me she taught me how to cook and look after myself.

I have quite a few friends, both near and far. One of them I have become close to and we are wanting to take it further.

Is this too soon? I am one of these guys who doesnt like to be alone. My wife knew that and always said that I should continue my life when anything happened to her. I will never stop loving her as I always talk to her each day

• Steve123

I am very early on my grief journey - my wife, best friend and soulmate passed on 3rd December - so suppose I’m not really truly able to help answer, but my feeling would be that you will know if it feels right for you. Everybody’s journey is different and nobody can tell you if it’s too soon or not. We will never ever stop loving the ones we have lost but I do think about whether I will be able to cope being alone for the rest of my life (I am just 41 years old and my Claire just 46 when she passed) and if I would feel right bring in another relationship in the future. Again I think it’s only us that can answer that for ourselves as we are the ones that know our grief and how painful it is

• Hi.

I think only you will know when it feels right. If you want to take  further with this lady then do so. She knows your situation so I’m sure she’ll understand how you’re feeling. Just because you’re moving forward doesn’t mean the live you have for your wife is gone. It sounds like she was preparing you for a new life and I’m sure none of our loved ones want us to be lonely.

If you feel it’s time then give it a go. X 

• There is no right or wrong way, is taking it further and that's how you fill, then it would say to me, yes it is the right time.

We will never ever forget the one that has been lost, but as time goes by, we are after all human, and have and need certain, things with in our lives.

I would say slowly does it, and if it progresses, was meant to be, 

Your wife, would be happy that you have found some thing to go forward for,

We can not stand dormant for ever, more so the younger you are.

I am not a youngest, i miss him making me laugh, i miss him giving me a cuddle, little things mean a lot.

I wish you well going forward xx

• steve123,

I find this situation one which, I guess, is the biggest hurdle we may all face. 

We can't know how our lives will bring us toward others in the future. It will make us think about the past I am quite sure.

I'm not in this situation but I have thought about the what if...

Like so much of our experience, there is no right or wrong. Just don't let other people's opinions influence you.- unless they are saying do what you think is the right thing!

Take care,

WDJ