Struggling and feel broken

• 3 replies
  • 27 subscribers

On 10 October, only 11 weeks ago, my wonderful husband and soulmate Chris died at the age of 59 from small cell lung cancer, only 25 days after diagnosis.

Everyday of our 28 years together was filled with love and laughter. All our friends always said they'd never met a couple so deeply in love.

I am heartbroken. I'm not sure I can get through life without the one person who loved me so deeply and made me whole.

I have great friends but it doesn't stop the overwhelming fact that I am now alone. I am existing in a life that I don't want. My dreams shattered and an empty future ahead. I feel scared, lonely, anxious. I could never have imagined that at 45 I would find myself without my Chris.

I spent Christmas with a friend, her partner and her father. We shared moments of sadness but also some laughter. But now I'm really struggling. Three days of what seems like nonstop crying. I'm trying to keep busy but distractions are not helping.

I don't know if it's reality sinking in that I'll never see Chris again, never feel his touch, his kisses, never hear his voice or his laughter, never hear the words "I love you" from the man who adored me.

For Chris, I try to have the strength to carry myself with the grace and dignity he did so effortlessly. Chris is the love of my life, the light in the darkness and his love, our love, will carry me until the last beat of my heart.

• That sounds pretty heartbreaking Lonely Panda. I am in a slightly different situation as my wife is just starting her treatment and the feeling of helplessness and fear are unbearable. 

Do do you have children? I have found that focusing on them has made the tears stop - a bit. I have 3 young children...

your pain will subside with time but it will take a while as you have clearly lost your best friend and love of your life. Think about the 28 amazing years you had together, some people barely get 28 days of happiness in their lives. 

i wish you good luck in the future and, know this, reading your heart wrenching story has made me feel a bit better, knowing that I am not alone.

love and hugs

rob

• Hi Rob 

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is starting treatment and I understand how helpless you feel but remember that any little thing you can do for your wife will mean the world to her.  I am sending positive thoughts to you both and hope that treatment will be successful.

Chris and I never had children. We were all we ever needed to be happy.  I am grateful though for my friends who supported both of us and continue to be a source of strength which I can draw upon, but who also allow me to be sad and sit with me in peace.

I am truly blessed to have had 28 amazing years. It's just such a shock to have had my life ripped apart in such a short space of time. I am taking each day as it comes and allowing my grief in, I think if I try to suppress it I will crumble.

You are not alone Rob. Please keep us updated on not only your wife's progress but also how you are coping. Everyone on this forum understands and we can lend a listening ear, allow you to vent your feelings and offer support.

Rachael (LonelyPanda)

• What a lovely reply Rachael - I am off to watch the football now with my sons which might take my mind off things for 90 mins.

yes, keeping in touch sounds like the best way to heal and help each other.

love Rob