Rev Richard Coles

• 8 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I had R2 on today and Michael Ball was talking to Rev Richard Coles.  I'm now watching his documentary Good Grief on ch4 catch up.  Has any1 watched it already? 

Slight smilex

• Hello. I’ve not watched it yet…have it saved to watch at some point. Have read his book The Madness of Grief which I found very moving and reflected some of the feelings I’ve had. I’m quite a fan of his on all sorts of issues. Interested to know what you thought. 
    Jane

x

• Been told it’s very good, will have to make the effort, thanks for the reminder 

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• I’ve got the madness of grief as an Ebook, not read it yet though, think it’s easy to share if anyone interested, PM me

• I thought it was good to watch. It was basicly stuff we already know - I liked his expression 'it's the nicest people will ever be to you' No mouth The Grief Cruise he went on won't have been cheap trip Shipwith his balcony room, very nice! Definitely worth watching I think Slight smile

Tomorrow is another day
  • I found it useful to watch, I also liked the comment he told from a lady who said make the most of people being nice to you after a bereavement. I have also read a few articles about Rev Coles's experience of bereavement- I can identify with the aspect of feeling a 'paralyzing sadness'. My husband of 36 years died on 6th July this year after a short illness with pancreatic cancer- he had overcome 2 incidents of bowel cancer 30 years apart in his life. 

We knew from 2020 that he had Lynch's syndrome and was at risk of future cancers. So I had some warning that he might not live a long life (he was 59) however I had no idea- how can you- of just how painful it would feel and just how lost and fearful I would be feeling...

• Hello Christa, you are so right about the pain, a paralysing sadness, is a good description. It’s been a year since Linda left me, Up to a couple of months ago, I was starting to manage better, but have now slid right back down, in tears almost all day every day, just can’t shake off this terrible overwhelming sadness. I wasn’t prepared for this, don’t suppose I could ever have been, no one understands, that hasn’t lost a spouse.

I hope fI don’t strength from the love you shared, and happy memories, it’s what sustains me through the dark moments.

I Looked through some photos yesterday I took a couple of years ago, we never looked at them together, I cried and told her she should be here next to me looking and laughing at them together. It’s all far to sad Cold sweat

• I watched the documentary this evening after finding a reference here. It gives good advice, how helpful it is to join groups where others are going through similar loss and can relate to your experience, how losing your life partner is worse as you lose your future.

It was slightly difficult to stomach as focused on how you create your future and for now I want to keep remembering everything about my husband.  

Worth watching though as you can see you are not alone 

• Hi Arthur 

It sounds like you and I are in a similar timeline. It’s been 14 months for me now and I too thought I was “doing ok”   Now I think I must’ve just been numb for the past 12 months