Medication difficulties

• 8 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hello everyone

I haven’t been on the forum for a while. My DR decided to change my anti depressants from Citalopram to Sertraline, said should be slightly better, I changed over slowly, but it still messed me up, now gone from 50mg to 100mg, it seems sometimes increasing the dose can bring about the conditions that the anti depressant is being taken for to help with. Meant to be only temporary, and hopefully will again be back in a better place. Sometimes just don’t see the point, sit in the armchair for 12 hours, TV & meals, then 12 hours in bed, finding it difficult to find a reason to get out of bed, often not until 1230. I had depression in 2004 for almost a year, when my second wife left me, often didn’t get out of bed till 3pm, to make the day as short as possible, I think the depression and anxiety associated with grief can be worse, when this has been experienced before.

I do continue to try and look for the positives in life, although they are few and far between, I joined Meetup.com, but not able to bring myself to attend anything, not yet anyway, I know I don’t want to live like a hermit, but really struggling to do any thing social, with people I don’t know. Maybe at 69,  I should just accept this is it, but really don’t want to.
as of the 21st January I am a great grand father, which is awesome, going to try and get involved as I can be, without interfering, luckily I have been able to offer some financial help, which gives me some comfort.

was my Birthday on the 11th, my eldest Son wanted to take me out for a meal, but I am so worried about Covid, we decided to ‘eat in’ at home and watched a movie. Plus my youngest Son joined us, made it a special occasion 

best wishes and keep safe and well

Keith

1. Grief is an awful experience takes you to the edge it does, but at some point you start to fight it, but it happens at different times for each of us, just hang in there your time will come you will be ok.
  • Thanks Jayne, the phrase “takes you to the edge” is, unfortunately, so accurate,

I do hope that one day I will feel capable of facing life, preferably not alone.

keep safe & well

Keith

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• We were luckier than some and got an estimate of two years - wasn't far out as things turned out. Gill was an adventurer and we crammed in as many adventures as time allowed, you know the sort of stuff, feeding humming birds in Jamaica, swimming with dolphins ........  Anyway the piper needs to be paid, tens of thousands in debt secured against the house, means that I will have to work at least until I am 70.  Work gives me a routine, if you call designing control systems, writing the software, and then traveling around the world commissioning the darn stuff as work.  It's the weekends and evenings that cripple me, yes at work my mind wanders, even at work I can be found crying into my keyboard, but most of the staff have been away (working) with Gill and myself so have some idea of how close we were.

The house though - I will never do it justice, riddled with cancer Gill still climbed on top of the kitchen units every week to dust, hoovered every day, and damp dusted in places that I don't even know exist.  Then out into the garden - tending, tending what !, no idea, but most of the plants have committed suicide I'm just hoping that it's winter and that they will come back.  I do remember visiting garden centers for weekend after weekend, filling the Land Rover with trays of plants every year, but a lupine could be a laylandii to my engineers eyes.

Family have said that I need to visit the doctor for help, I suspect that they have contacted him on my behalf as i got a call from him the other day out of the blue.  Yes things are getting worse, but the hobby that Gill encouraged was clay pigeon shooting - and to be honest it's a few hours every month with our youngest taking the P***, missing clays, a brew & bacon sandwich.  Get a diagnosis of depression and the gun license will be whipped away in a heartbeat, along with the guns, never to be seen again.

Can't believe that I have said that we were luckier than some, certainly don't feel like a cancer diagnosis could ever be described as lucky, staring down the barrel of a gun for two years waiting for the trigger to be pulled at any moment. Everything is relative I suppose

• Hi Andy
    It was lovely to hear of your adventures with Gill, such wonderful memories. Yes the quiet times are the very worst, unfortunately , being retired, most of my times are like this. I do see my youngest Son every 3 days for dinner and a movie, which is amazing, other family visits are seldom, due to family commitments etc. My family are supportive, but I honestly think they’ve run out of things to say, must be tough for them, when I pour out my heart in a text, but honestly don’t really expect answers, because there aren’t any. My Anti depressant has helped, going through a bad patch as changing meds, but really helped me cope with life, still felt the pain and sadness, but stopped being overwhelming. Also I don’t think DRs actually diagnose Depression, they just prescribe to treat it, so hopefully it shouldn’t affect your ‘Hobby’.

I built 6 planters for our back garden to help Linda, as she found it painful bending down to tens the plants. I fully intended replanting them this year, I have the list that Linda prepared for last year, but I only go into the back garden to cut the grass, so decided an alternative. Will use the planters to ‘bring on’ some perennials ( My eldest Son has a massive collection ) then dismantle the planters and plant the perennials directly in the ground. Will need less attention & maintenance than the annual flowers. Still feel torn about this decision, Linda so loved her planters and flowers, some changes are so hard to decide.

• Bless you,

I understand where you are coming from l lost Pete in Oct 2021, l have not cooked a meal since he passed. Waiting for the days to pass until bedtime so l can really concentrate and dream of him. Yes l know l am weird , it is good that you have a new great grandchild xx.

You have the blessing of telling him all about his great nanny when the time is right xx.

I think that maybe you should get a second opinion on your medication, l suffered with depression from the age of 17 until 50. I had antidepressants that made me worse and my mum through them down the toilet. I am now on Citalopram and so was my husband Pete. You seem to be on a very high dose?

Hope it gets sorted for you, as you know they can help at times xx

• I don’t much like the day time, just muddle through meals & TV, till it’s time for bed again, I was on Citalopram 20mg, but the DR thought Sertraline may be better for me less side effects, 100mg is quite normal for Sertraline, just suffering because of the change over. 
    take care x

• Is anyone having issues logging in I can't get on private chats must be my phone playing up.

• Just logged in - can see old messages, then again I am using a PC and you might be using a mobile version of the site