Christmas meltdown

• 36 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hello, after posting on several threads about Christmas day, I went to M&S today to get food for the weekend.  I was hoping to find a lovely meal for one with all the trimmings, but nothing. Everything was in bulk quantities, but I did get some things that normally I wouldn't go for and hope I'll enjoy them.

It was completely overwhelming as there were families looking for their lovely dinner and I was all alone. I wandered around for ages before picking things up.

Got home and had a meltdown as this time last year Nic and I were taking delivery of a lovely turkey, etc, in readiness for what we both knew would be the last Christmas dinner he would ever cook for us.

Oh dear, feeling very sad but thinking I should accept my very good friend's offer of a plate of her Christmas dinner.  However, I can't face the day with others and enforced, false enjoyment of things.

So confused and upset.

Rambling again  x

• I can’t face it either so heading for the hills with a picnic something I’ve never done before but decided it needed to be different, friend joining me as she also dislikes Xmas. 
    Could you get your friend to plate a meal up for you to collect or perhaps agree to join them bu5 have exit strategy for if you become overwhelmed.

Sending hugs

Tracey xx

• Hi nicsmrs.

I can`t stand Christmas, I will be glad when it is all over.

I am working until 18:00 on xmas day so dinner will be easy, a couple of box ready meals from Asda will do.

I may push the boat out and do a quick roast beef, where you buy the beef pre cooked and sliced and just cook the peas and pots.

add a bit of bisto and job done.

Stay safe.

John.

• Hi Tracey,

This sounds a great idea, away from all the idiots with the fake yes we are glad you came culture { it means what time 

are you leaving }

I think you could sell tickets to this one.

Stay safe.

John

• Hi John,

You would be welcome & I did joke to my friend that if we walked round with a placard saying follow us if u don’t like Xmas we would b like the pied piper at the endLaughing

Tracey xx

• I agree.

As long as we don`t break group number rules or social distance rules or it`s Wednesday tomorrow rule.

We could all meet at number 10 and do as we please.

Stay Safe.

John X

• It would just be cheese & wine get together though if meeting at no.10! Rofl

• Hi Tracey, thank you.  I'm still going to do Christmas day my way, but am going to ask my friend for a plate up for boxing day.  She has been so kind, lovely, extremely supportive and thoughtful since Nic died that I can't refuse her  offer. 

On Saturday I'll do the early morning bucks fizz and take the dog for a walk as per tradition.  Then lunch and a chat with Nic's sister and nieces in the US, also as per tradition.  Its horrible for them as well, as Nic is the third close family member they have lost in the last two years (his mum in 2019, dad in 2020 and Nic in 2021).

I'll probably go to my friend at some point over the holidays.  She completely gets the exit strategy thing and has already mentioned it.

A few awful days for all of us to get through.  And then we've got new year's eve to look forward to (definitely not).  

Will check in again on Saturday.

Best wishes and stay safe.

Felicity x

• Felicity what an awful few years your family have endured, I think I’m dreading NY mor3 than Xmas it was a night Craig & I enjoyed often partying with friends or away from Uk with the fireworks in Dubai being particularly spectacular, Craig also proposed to me on NYE, I’ve been invited to a close friends house but not sure how well I will bear up, in tears now thinking about it!
    Take care & big deep breath as we head into this difficult time.

Tracey xx

• Hi Tracey, yes it's been difficult but hopefully we can find new hope going forward.  Both of Nic's nieces got engaged this year so we have two weddings to look forward to.

Bless you re new year's eve, so many happy memories.  I hope you cope ok on the day this year, but if not I'm sure your friends will understand.  Maybe you will need an exit strategy if it gets too much.

Nic and I would have been engaged three years on Monday this week so I get that.

Deep breaths indeed.  We'll get through it somehow.

Felicity x

• agree with you there Tracey.  NYE, I’m going to turn off the lights and go to bed and pray that 2022 is going to be a better year (even though I guess we’ll be in lockdown for the first part!).

Speak soon

xxxxx