Going back to a place we both loved and I’m anxious

• 12 replies
  • 30 subscribers

My husband died 18 weeks ago and it goes without saying about the pain and loneliness I feel without him.  After his funeral when everyone goes back to their normal lives and I was left physically alone (although I am very lucky to have friends who check on my by phone or text every day) and thought that I can actually sit and cry about it, isolate myself etc or I can do something about it, which I have.  In the past week I’ve taken a step back I feel, to experience the pain and I have hidden myself away.  Now an opportunity has come to go away for a couple of days with a close friend who was with us as my husband left this world.  I have chosen to go back to a place we both loved and booked it. It’s in the UK.  Since yesterday, I’ve been tormented with doubt. Will it be too painful to be there without him, to walk and visit the places we both went in that area and had such happy times? 
pits paid for now and I don’t want to let my friend down either but neither do I want to be crying all the time thinking of what we had and what I’ve lost.  Has anyone had the same experience please? 

• Thank you NanaFizz

I completed everything I set out to do..and more. I felt that my pre-planning helped me feel happier about what I was doing. 

I spent the whole weekend going to places that were all connected to my husband, taking time to rest in places including a Remembrance Garden,  to sit alone and watch a butterfly hovering on a lavender bush. At one stage whilst waiting in a queue everyone around watched as a white feather circled tightly round and round my head before resting at my feet!

My final act of the weekend was to go to a quiet place with access to the sea and there, along with a paper poppy (no plastic) I released a handful of my husband's ashes...

His 1st anniversary since he passed away. Hopefully I honoured him in a way that he deserved.

I'm glad I did it but oh, how I wish he was here beside me once again ♡

• Hi

I’m so pleased you had your weekend away and  enjoyed some of it.

I can fully understand how seeing other couples was particularly difficult as I feel the same. I remember sitting with my daughter having a coffee and getting upset as I felt I was surrounded by couples. It really brought home that I was no longer part of one! 

I’m returning home the middle of next week and I’m having to resist the urge to extend my time out here. I know I can’t stay out here definitely and that I must return some time but I dread the thought. Hopefully when I do, I will feel  the same as you.

Take care and if you can and wish to, please update me on your ‘travels’.

Julie x