A bit lost

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Recently I lost my wife to liver / stomach cancer, we had been together for 16 years and marred for 9. She was only 36 when she passed and we where in a incredibly good place in hour lives. The future seemed set to be mostly idyllic with lots of travel and just spending time together.

The fight with cancer was just over a year, with being told from the start that there was no cure and it would be severely life shortening. After the initial shock we would try to make every day count and just not planning more than a half day at a time or it would just all be to much. We lived like that for about a year. I'm only now realizing the toll it tuck to staying positive and keep moving forward, while knowing it would have taken a miracle to beat the odds that were against us. 

So inevitably the trials failed and a chimo type didn't work, her last days were 2 and a half weeks at a hospice.

My struggle is with having seen women I love and would do anything for be in agony for so long, with a full diary of med listing for each day that are bigger than the pages a lot of which just made her sick. The last days 3 days at the hospice were she was unable to talk or communicate, watching for any small signs of discomfort that would mean to help call for pain relief so she would rest more soundly.

I feel haunted by a lot of it and I really wish there as a way to move past that to remember the good times without all the pain.

• Hi, l am 18 months widowed and my too young husband was admitted to a hospice on New Years Day and died two weeks later. I started grieving for our old life the day we were told his cancer was inoperable and terminal. He lasted 15 months . I was so busy sorting out his estate and am left with a house that is empty except for me and the ever growing list of things to maintain the fabric of it. Expect sad days and some better days but don't put off your grieving as l have done. Sooner or later we must acknowledge we have been through a shocking time, knocked off our feet and pause to take that in.  I hope you find a way through , people here actually do understand. Blessed are those who mourn. 

• Hello TomTom,

I can relate to what you are saying when you talked about seeing the person you love suffering and in pain and being haunted by it.

I cared for my husband at home with our son and were with him until the end, 23/6.  He was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer 2 years previously. He was 53. We had been together 14 years. 

I get moments of anger, like this is not fair! directed at cancer for what it does to us.....and flashbacks of how it tore at his body and how he fought back and really didn't complain.

And then there's reliving the last day and why didn't I do this or that and I should have said that. Is all so f'd up

These last 2 years were precious, special and damn hard work. I was studying adult nursing and had to stop because he was so sick  he wanted to be here at home and so did our son and me so everything was put on hold....but am now going back to finish last year of degree. Big gulp. Start next weekGrimacing

I'm really struggling with any changes, my son went back to school last Friday and it was like a big big deal. And feel so alone. I have had better days and then suddenly.like a brick wall it hits you. I've found myself crying uncontrollably in the blink of an eye. 

Is great to talk to you, and don't forget none of us knew what was going to happen we only did our best in diabolical circumstances. 

With respect, 

C

• Thank you for the response,

You are right of course, the people on this group sadly do understand. I was frustrated and lacking a lot of sleep when I first posted, bit better with that now. Yes the never ending mountain of paper work and errands, when the motivation and ultimate coal for it all is just so hazy and hollow.

I did ask the world to stop spinning quite so quickly, oddly it didn't work.

I truly hope that those that mourn are blessed, as it seems we could do with some good luck with the struggles that the future holds.

I sorry for your loss. I wish that none of us had a reason to be on this forum

• Hello, thank you for your response.

I'm sorry to hearing about your husbands cancer journey, to say strong for him and your son for that length of time must have been incredibly hard on you.

The fact that you are pushing forward with your studies is very heartening. As nurses have become heroes in my eyes, I sincerely wish you all the best.

The feeling of getting on with it and then just suddenly shattering is one I know all to well. I wish I could stop trying to put things into context, it just seems a fools errand.

This is silly but yesterday I thought of the cancer fight as the story of don quixote, on a brave noble quest to kill a dragon, only to find I was a delusional idiot smacking a windmill. It made me laugh, don't know why.

I don't struggle with change, I dont think. Just generally feel unprepared for what the future holds and yes the loneliness is constant and can be all consuming. If there is a solution to it I would love to know.

I have started to listening to some classical music, never cared for it before but find it soothing nowadays.

Best Wishes 

Tom

• I think what we all need to remember is that, along with grief, I think it would be accurate to say we all suffer from a sort of PTSD. Watching someone you love fade and die is so incredibly traumatic. Getting help in some form is imperative. I've had four different sessions over the last three years and I feel sure I will need more counselling over the winter. Despite the fact that death is a fact of life, it is still not something we can "get over" having witnessed, particularly because cancer can be so cruel and ravaging in its final stages.

I am coming up to the anniversary of my precious Chris dying. It will be hard - again - but it is part of the price I pay for having loved him so much and having been loved by him. I have to keep reminding myself of that. I would go through this pain for having had that love willingly...

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.