Dating again

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 26 subscribers

It is now just over 12 months since my husband died from lung cancer. And he is just irreplaceable..i have such a loving family and good friends but the loneliness and feeling a spare part in their lives is very hard as I am sure you all understand..not being part of a couple with all the care and support you give each other... I miss it very much.

So I started to look online at a dating site a friend had used..and yes met 3 very different men for a coffee and chat..they were also widowers with similar experiences ..and no 3 is someone I would like to see again...but feel so guilty and how do I explain this to my family...my friends already know and are supportive.

Has anyone else on here any advice to offer if they have had a similar decision to make?

• Trust yourself and gut feeling Hils.

I personally had a bad experience with online dating but that doesn't mean it does not work but I am dating again but someone I have known for years.

So if you are comfortable, do it. I personally like male company and although I have lots of female friends, it is not the same! 

Take care

Love Alison xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Akela2516

Hi Alison thanks so much for the reply..I am being careful and waiting to see if a 2nd mtg goes ahead which wlll give me a better idea if this lovely understanding man can be in my life..I too miss male company so fingers crossed and I hope you are finding happiness again.

Love Hilary

• Hi Hilary,

I've lost my wife a year ago and met someone else by chance really a few months back. It didn't work out because it was too early for me and I was craving the companionship way too much to take into account her needs, but one thing that I've found is that even if it hadn't been even a year, everybody and I mean everybody, including my late wife's family, was very happy for me, for us, and not one person told me that it was too early or unreasonable, etc.

So yes I would agree too to go with your gut feeling, but don't worry too much about the family's feedback. It is very natural to seek someone else to share our life and love.

Good luck xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Devin

Thankyou for your kind and wise words...I feel quilty but so far its only been one meeting and I do keep busy with friends and family..  but male company is missing so will see what happens in the future .

Love Hilary

• A dear friend of mine who had lost his sister in his twenties encouraged me as well to share the news with Juliette's family, because as he remembered he was happy to know that his sister's husband had found someone else. Sharing that info also shows that you care enough about them to keep them in the loop at every level (even though it's challenging for everybody of course)

But yes I'm getting a bit far ahead, it's been one meeting after all! Take your time! :D

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Devin..yes I will wait and see before telling family.. it might come to nothing but glad to hear your thoughts!

Love Hilary

X

• hi, 

by chance I reconnected with a friend they also lost their wife to cancer,  we knew each other’s spouse. Their is no right time in term of months or years and that can be difficult for others to understand. My loss is over two his is coming up to a year, at the moment we are enjoying a combination of meeting with friends,  sharing a hobby and talking about our feelings. We are  keeping it low key in terms of family, and wilder circle of friends. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to puddle fish

Hi yes I think you are wise to keep it low key but so pleased you have found each other for company and to help fill the gap left in each others lives...we are not replacing...just trying to live our lives the best way we can...good luck!

Tomorrow would have been my hubbys birthday and the memories of all tbe lovely tbings we did are very bitter sweet and it must be nice to have someone who understands to talk to...always feel its too much to keep talking to the grown up children with their busy demanding lives.

Love Hilary

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to puddle fish

Thankyou...I wont be seeing this gentleman again.a mutual decision..but this will be helpful to read others experiences...

Take care Hilary

X