I only have today, tomorrow is promised to no one

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 25 subscribers

2nd September 2019 my darling Mickie left me. Penial Cancer tore him from me. In the 20 plus months that have gone by, peoples lives have moved on. Mine? Every morning I wake and reach for him, and in that split second of unreality, I still feel him. I open my eyes and the pain is as sharp as the day he left me. 

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in hospital (30th October 2018). The staff were amazing. Mick was curable, we had hope, we had a life still, a future. April 2019 cancer turned its ugly head and the consultant gave the news Mick was terminal. He didn't survive to our 26th wedding anniversary. 

My dearest Mickie didn't want to leave me. I have been so numb with grief and the horror of the last year of his life, that I had pushed all memories of his love, devotion, care, friendship, being my soul mate, my absolute foundation rock. What should have been my life partner was snatched from me. My tears drown me.

I'm lonely, I'm lonely in a room of hundreds of people, millions of people. 

People think I'm 'OK'. I smile and laugh more now, and it is genuine, my grown kids need me. I'm told I am an incredibly strong woman. So why do I quake inside? That small little word, OK, it means everything and absolutely nothing. I'm not OK and never will be again. 

I miss you Mick, with tears rolling down my face, and a smile on my lips, that doesn't seem to reach my heart. Forever yours, Jane xx

• Hi Jane

so sorry that you’re in such pain. I think people think we’re strong because we have no choice but to carry on and keep walking. I also feel cheated of a future and can’t bear to think about what my life will be like because there’s such a void. My only consolation is the love we had and I’m grateful for that. It’s only just over 3 weeks for me and I feel very lonely and lost. I don’t think I’ll ever recover, just find a way to limp forward but remember all he gave me. My definition of bravery after watching him die was when you take the next step even when you’re terrified. All we can do is just take the next step. Reading other people’s posts has made me feel better in as much as identifying so strongly with the pain and loss others feel. Then I’m not so lonely as others have had or are having similar experiences. I know there’s not much I can do to help other than send love and empathy xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Rolo 1,

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words. I'm so very sorry for your recent loss. 3 weeks, such an awful time for you and your family. My heart goes out to you, but also breaks for you. I'm here for you. Wouldn't it be lovely if there was a forum where our bereaved lot could meet up online and see each other and chat that way. Sending you love and hugs. Jane xx

• That would be lovely.

I know what it feels to be in a room full of people and still feel completely lonely. It’s an awful feeling. This site helps me in terms of hearing from other people who truly understand because they have walked the walk, supported their partner completely and then had to lose their beloved. Stephen didn’t want to leave me either and fought an impossible battle until there was nothing left in him to fight. He always called me his rock - I often don’t feel strong but he told me I needed to keep going and I will do that for him.
    The world does seem empty, joyless and sometimes irrelevant currently,  but then I remember how his love made me feel, our family and friends and how he has changed and moulded me for the better (evBlush through his 6 months of cancer) over the years. That makes me feel better as well as understanding my pain is also experienced by others and being able to connect to others who get - completely - how I feel. Sending you love and a big virtual hug back! X

• Hi Jane10,

There is such a thing. We do have a Zoom call every two weeks, the next one being this coming Sunday at 18:00, and everybody is very welcome.

Love, Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Jane,

I am so very sorry for your loss and I can read the heart-break through your words. It is so good that you have joined this forum as you know that here people understand what you are going through.

It is so hard, I know. I lost my husband three years ago and still to this day I miss him and wish I could have him back healthy and strong and that we could have a long life together ahead of us.

Lots of love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Rolo1,

I am so very sorry for your loss too. It's still very early days for you. I am glad you have found us here because we are a group of people who have all experienced the same. It is so important to talk and to share.

I lost my beloved Paul three years ago.

Lots of love

Mel

•  Hi Mel

thank you for messaging. Is the next zoom a week today? I’d really value a zoom meet. How do we register?

Rolo x

• Rolo1,

It's a little complicated as we are not allowed to send details of the meeting here. What you would have to do is send me a friend request through the site and then I can private message you with the Zoom link and password. Hope that's okay.