Three years on

• 9 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hello everyone,

Three years ago today I sat in the DayWard of Saint Luke's Hospital in Dublin, Paul slipping in and out of consciousness in the bed beside me, and waiting for what blood test results and urine samples would reveal as the cause of Paul's rapid decline. It was a Monday.

Paul had been getting worse over the weekend. We had agreed with the doctors the previous week that, after a long chemo break due to pneumonia and a consolidated lung, we would resume the treatment. I don't know whether the oncologists and nurses who had seemed so optimistic had really believed that this would happen; but they had given me and perhaps Paul a tiny little bit of hope that helped us live through the weekend during which Paul became very ill. That morning, three years ago today, I brought him in, but it was obvious to me that we wouldn't do chemo as Paul had become too weak and too ill. I think the chemo would have killed him right away. 

Maybe it was also around this time three years ago that the nurse took my arm gently and lead me into her office off the DayWard saying, "Mel, do you want to ring family or friends? I think now would be a good time."

It was in maybe one hour from now three years ago that the oncologist told me, "Melanie, Paul is seriously ill. And we think he won't survive this."

I can't remember having thought so much of the events from three years ago last year and the year before. And I think I am possibly thinking of them more this year because, for one thing, maybe I have grown stronger and can bear to think about it a little better and the other thing is that I have recently spoken to a very good friend of mine who also lost her husband to cancer and this has opened me up to my thoughts and feelings more.

The final weeks of Paul's life were so difficult for him. But actually not only the final weeks. In fact, I think that from the day he began his chemotherapy treatment there was so much suffering. Now I am not saying that chemotherapy is not a good treatment. Even though it is very poisonous, it is for many a life prolonger and for some even a life savor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         But it is defeninitely a treatment that is so hard on every body. Paul suffered a lot: with nausea, with exhaustion, with weakness, with headaches, with lack of taste, with lack of appetite, with insomnia for a while. And in the final week of his life, when I was still thinking that he would have to go back on chemo and that we had "no time to lose", he said, "Mel, I think we all want that I get well only so that I can do more chemo which in fact makes me feel very bad."So he knew, and deep down of course I knew it too, that there was no going back to enjoying life as he/we once had. It was always going to be chemo or recovery from chemo or battling with infections and side-effects and then more chemo.

Today I am thinking how good it was that the three antibiotics that they were giving Paul three years ago didn't work. The kidneys and the liver were failing and, even if they had stopped the kidney infection and possibly had even cleared it, Paul would still have had the slowly progressing liver failure which couldn't have been stopped because the liver had become so canceruous. I think, if Paul had survived for a while longer, they would have had to get him into hospice; and that would have been something that neither Paul nor I would have wanted.

Three years ago today, right this moment, I didn't know that Paul and I would stay the night in hospital, that I would lean over the bed in the evening and say, "Sweetheart, I would so love you to stay with me for ever and ever but if you want to let go now please let go, it's okay to let go now" that we would have one more night and one more day in hospital before Paul would die on Tuesday evening, that I would be with him all along and have my hand on his heart whispering to him how much I loved himduring the final hours and minutes of his life and that I would find some strength to go on in the months and years that followed.

I miss Paul every single day - sometimes more, sometimes less. He will be forever in my heart because he is the love of my life, my soul mate, my husband and my best friend. But, over time, I have learned that missing Paul every day and moving forward in my own life is no longer a contradiction. I have also learned to find beauty in my grief because it is only because I love Paul so much that I can be so heart-broken because he is no longer with me. And I have also learned to be grateful for the time we did have; no, it wasn't enough, it was only nine years, but it was at least nine years! And they were wonderful years!

Here is a little reflection at the end of this long post that is with me every single day:

IN THE RISING of the sun and in its going down, we remember them.
In the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter, we remember them.
In the opening of buds and in the rebirth of spring, we remember them.
In the blueness of the sky and in the warmth of summer, we remember them.
In the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of autumn, we remember them.
In the beginning of the year and when it ends, we remember them.

When we are weary and in need of strength, we remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart, we remember them.
When we have joys we yearn to share, we remember them.
So long as they live, we, too, shall live, for they are now a part of us, as we remember them.

• Mel, that is beautiful and has made me cry. Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts and reflections that are so very personal and show what a strong, enduring love you and Paul were privileged to share.

Sending hugs 

Jane

xx

• Aw Mel

What a beautifully written post. I can relate to so much of what you have shared. 

Our journey was different as Robs cancer was already at stage 4 and Adrenal cancer so no treatment offered, at the time I don't feel like it truly hit me. I was in shock, surely my big healthy strong 47 year old husband had years and would slowly deteriorate. But we had time didn't we??

He endured tests and a trial drug which made him so ill he only managed 1 week of the tablets but was at home and functioning.  We did the financial necessities and wrote our wills, Rob spoke with our children and their schools. All planning for a future he would not be part of.

Now I can say it was like we were on a  run away train. I don't know how the children and I functioned for the brutal 3 months we watched Rob ravaged by cancer, haunted by fear and his tears at leaving us all far too soon. He was devastated to end his days in a hospice, but that was where he needed to be.

From that first day of diagnosis every day was worse than the last, I'm so proud of my little family and everyone else on here who has watched our loved ones pass and is still able to carry on. 

I joined this site at a similar time to you Mel and I'm often reduced to tears reading the posts from newly bereaved people. I can completely feel everything they write and know what they are experiencing.  It's like no other pain. 

I know I will grieve and miss Rob forever and the future we never got, that makes me so sad. Our children keep me going but at some point I'm going to have to learn to live on my own, that isn't something I'm looking forward to. 

Take care everyone 

• Ruby diamond x
  • Thank you for this. Was having a bad day but it definitely helped Reading this. So lovely. To the wonderful people we lost. Always in our heads and hearts x

• Mel, this is a very moving and beautiful post, which brought tears to my eyes too.

Ian x

• Hi Mel,

I had tears in my eyes too reading your post. Three years already. You're right, we're grieving because we loved them and always will. We'll never forget the end, will we? Like Paul, Gilles knew too it was the end. I guess our bodies or souls or something knows when our time is up.

What you wrote reminds me of something I wrote this weekend. It was Gilles' birthday on Sun and one of the lines in a poem I wrote  said: Gilles will live on the burning pyre of my love.

I did try to connect to the Zoom meeting but couldn't. I thought of Happy5 whose husband's birthday was also on the 16th. We can't help but get emotional on certain dates, can we?

• Hi Limbo,

Yes you are so right. Hard to believe that it is three years already. And in another way and perhaps because we miss them so much it feels like they have gone a lifetime and we so so much want them back.

I remember that you and I wrote to each other here very early on and that we are of a similar timeline. Some of the people from those early days seem to be no longer here. I would like to know what has become of them too.

And, no, even though we have all the good memories too, we will never forget those final days as they were just so traumatic. Paul was so out of it for most of it and when he spoke he often didn't make sense, and sometimes he realised that he wasn't making much sense and was scared by this... Well, I have spoken about all of this here before. It was just heart-breaking to watch him so frail and no longer able to hold on to life which on one hand he so much wanted to do but on the other hand did no longer want to do because he truly had had enough of all the suffering by then.

Very hard days. And they will always be in our hearts. With us wherever we go. Paul is a part of me and I am living my life for the two of us now. That's what it feels like.

Are you coming to the workshop on Friday? And to the Zoom meeting on Sunday?

Lots of love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Mel, I lost my soul mate, Mary, three years ago and it has not got any easier. Each morning and every night I kiss her photo beside our bed. We were with each other for 40 years and I find it kind of hard to think of any life without her  being around, or at least, part of my life. Her memory is all that keeps me going on a day to day basis. Memories are everything. Keep strong x

• Hello Bensondog,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mary. We are the same time line by the sounds of it.

I am sorry you haven't been able to find it easier over time.

I think I really do find it easier today. I feel like I am used to the grief now, to the way it can come in waves, to the way I can sometimes feel tearful, and to the swinging of emotions where sometimes I can feel really good and then, from one moment to the next, feel low again, used to the house without Paul, used to just my life without him, and used to feeling him in my heart all the time. It feels like Paul is a part of me now and I am living life for both of us now. I realise that a lot of what I am doing today or how I am doing things is because Paul would have done them like that or because I have learned from him how to do them. Sometimes people even say to me that some of the things I say remind them of Paul. I know that all of this is the case because we were so, so close, soul mates, best friends, husband and wife. I also believe that it is true when they say that the more we have loved the more we are grieving. And let's not forget: We still love our partners, we just can't give them our love any longer. So a lot of love with nowhere to go.

I hope that you, too, will find it easier over time.

Love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds.