Sent him to the bottom of the sea

• 9 replies
  • 26 subscribers

This week I took my partners ashes to Weymouth - he was put inside a memorial stone pyramid, taken out on the dive boat  and I pressed the button to send him to the seabed 3 miles off the coast. He is now part of the memorial artificial reef - his stone has nooks and crannies to help grow crabs fish corals and lobsters. He loved the sea, was a boatman, fished, and was a diver and this reef is a dive site. It was so moving and I am getting comfort from knowing he is sitting on the bottom helping it grow. Bonus was I did not throw up on the boat even though it was quite choppy and neither of the dogs fell overboard. I had underestimated how important it was to have this as an event for me. The rest of the ashes will be sprinkled next year where his sons ashes are - but this week was purely about him and me and us. Special. 

• That sounds very apt and fitting with your partner NelliJ and I'm glad your dogs were part of the ceremony too!! DogDog It will be lovely to look out to sea remember him out there 'swimming with the fishes' xx

Tomorrow is another day
  • That is Lovely, i still have mu hubby's ashes, been a year now. At the moment i can not do what he said.

He was a HGV Driver and said he would like to be scattered on the M25 or South   Mins. as this is where he spent half his life, i laughed at the time which was years ago, but not laughing now.

Take Care Ellie xx

• Sounds lovely Nellie. 

Go for it when you are ready Ellie

Xxx

• That is a lovely thing to do so fitting for him ...if you don't mind me asking how did you find out about this ...I live in Scotland and my hubby was a great fisherman he loved sea fishing think it would be a nice thing for him as well x

• The M25 is always at a standstill/gridlock(according to radio 2) Ellie, you would definitely know where he was!!  Hope that hasn't offended you Heart xx

Tomorrow is another day
  • Hi. I found out by accident. It came about as during lock down the ashes were delivered in Crematorium Basis box ( nasty) . I had them transferred to a scattering tube but they did not all fit. So I was a bottle of wine down googling what to do with ashes. As soon as I saw this it felt right. The two people who have set this up  are sound. Divers,  boatmen  fishermen. 

• Oh Bootsy, that really made me laugh.

He would get blown every where, and there would be parts of him all over, the m25, would never know   which part is where.

After what he went threw he is at peace, and needs to stay that way, peace and tranquillity .

But i did laugh and could just imange  gridlock, standstill, he would be laughing no doubt.

Thank You Take Care Ellie x

• Thanks so much for your help will look into this 

• WW123 - let me know how you get on. It was not cheap but was fortunate to have enough to do it. My partner would have liked to been a lifeboat man but did not have a job that meant he was near enough or able to respond fast enough. My mothers side of the family came from the isles of scilly where they either lived from the sea, worked the boats and lifeboats and scavenged whatever they could from the sea and generations back were likely wreckers. I love coastlines and the sea and find it reassuring and something soothing about the bigness of the sea.