Reflection on acceptance....

• 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Last night I was thinking about how far I had come. My husband died on 16 December 2018.

I recall discussing "acceptance" phase of grief at my 2nd bereavement session offered at the hospice. I felt that I had already accepted my husband's death and that I was not in denial anymore (clearly my definition was very basic!). I only had three sessions at the 3, 6 & 9 month stage. At six months it was said to me that real acceptance takes time and I accepted this at face value, at the time. I did not see the point of having weekly sessions as I would only be repeating things, as feelings don't change quickly.  The hospice had offered me 10 sessions and said they would see me through the first year but a call in November 2018 from them ended this support as they felt I was doing okay. Well, as you can imagine, I felt abandoned but at the same time they said I could contact them again if I needed anymore support, when pushed. I just felt the decision should have been mine but I now digress. The point being is that these sessions have proved valuable as time has gone on and  sometimes, you don't realise this at the time. Its about processing this traumatic experience which does not happen overnight! I have learnt to be patient with myself the hard way.

I have been reading about the stages of grief periodically over the last year or so, and recently the "acceptance" phase.  I like to understand and reading various articles, both scientific and spiritually, as well as other people's accounts on various subject surrouding grief.  Of course this forum, is reassuring in that you are not alone in what you are thinking/going through. Furthermore, the act of writing/consolidating matters has helped my healing further.  So, thank you for listening and adding your messages of support and thoughts too.

A message from David Kessler (author) hit home last night.  Last year I tried to maintain the life I had with my husband. It was draining and I neglected my health trying to keep up with living a "normal" life. This year I am already adapting to working without my husband in a different kind of way. I could not continue the business the way it was without him. It will now be my new norm and I feel lighter for it.

I now see that I can not maintain the past (something that did give me comfort last year). I am no longer denying my feelings and I have now also started listening to my needs. I am making healthier choices which I was not doing last year. This resulted in a few health issues as I totally underestimated the physical aspect of grief.  This is why being kind to yourself in the early days (and ongoing) is so important. I am learning to pace myself and relax. I was just trying to do too much and not getting much done in reality!

I am finally starting to fulfill my promise to my husband to embrace change and evolve. I have had more good days than bad days for some time but acceptance is more than this. I genuinely had reasons to smile in the last year or so, on most days. That's the beauty of gratitude.

Grief is not linear, so I still have moments of sadness and reflection (just not so intense) and then there also moments that catch me off guard.  On the whole I feel more hopeful for the year ahead. So going back to my second session, I am starting to live life my way and agree that this is only possible having given grief its time. My definition of acceptance has expanded and I am sure there will be more bumps to come . I am okay with this as I have faith in my ability to deal with it better now as my confidence and energy levels have started to go in the right direction.  So yes, it does take time and will probably continue to do so.

Another thing I think of, and this down to personal belief, both my husband and I believed that energy never dies. So if there is soul that never dies, I don't want my husband's soul not being at peace because I continue to struggle with the loss. It makes me smile when I live in the moment, thinking that he is looking down at me, also smiling.

Just thought I would share...

With lots of love,

Dutsie x

• Lovely, thank you for sharing your experience. 
    mits such early days for me but like you, I like to read about different experiences and perspectives. 

I too believe energy never dies, and this gives me comfort in that I can sense my husband around me.

we were very spiritual and I continue to do so, during my husbands year of being ill he kept his mental health stable by building a wonderful Zen garden, I have so many happy and funny memories of this and him relaxing in our zone. 

His energy is here, he had too big of a presence to let death take that away.

much love

Grief is the flip side of love
  • Hi Dutsie,
    Thank you for sharing this. Your post has made me reflect on a few things too. Your husband died just 4 days before mine so we've been through this for the same amount of time.

At the beginning of this year, I stopped asking Gilles to send me signs. I would like to think he did at times.) IAfter a dream I had, I realized how much I was holding him back and that it wasn't fair or right, if, indeed, we do have any continuing effect on their souls. 

I've also made attempts at reaching out to certain people at work, actually inviting one of them home one evening and suggesting to another that we go out for a drink. For once, it wasn't other people inviting me. These were big steps for me.

But, have I reached acceptance? I don't really know how to define acceptance. This year feels different because  the permanence of the situation has more or less set in, so this has made me very sad. Is it resignation, then? 

My self-confidence suffered quite a bit in January. Around the end of last year, I had a series of interviews on Skype as my teaching contract here is coming to an end. I had 5 interviews in all and was placed 2nd for 2 of the jobs. This obviously shook me up and mademe  reflect on my approach and my image. Part of the interviewing process involved  a 10-minute presentation. I kept it very professional, not even mentioning certain aspects that may have had the slightest resonance with my personal life. This would not have been obvious to the panel but I just couldn't bring myself to referring to anything where Gilles was implicated or showing the least bit of my personality and, so, probably came across as cold, stiff and stilted. There'll be another publication of jobs in March, so i'm trying to prepare myself in case I should have more interviews.

I do admire your attitude, for making a decision to embrace the change in your life. I can't say I've embraced mine. I'm going along with the changes and just trying to respond as best as possible. In writing this, I've understood what accpetance means. You said it, but in putting down the last words in writing, it hit me. Funny how the brain works.

Again, thanks for your insightful post and lovely poem in the poetry  thread.

• Thank you all for your responses.

It is funny how healing it is to share your innermost thoughts with effective strangers. However, I consider you guys as my virtual friends, through our shared experiences. This forum has allowed me to determine my grief, in my own time, without judgement. No one has tried to fix me, they have just moved with me and through my loss. So heartfelt thank you, again. I am so grateful to many people who find themselves here.

Limbo, I have followed you, as you say, our timeframes are similar. My definition of positive has changed too.  At first, I found my positivity conflicting with the feelings I have been through. I have related to most of the feelings you (and others) have shared. So there was a battle going on in my head for a long time. Making a choice and doing it are two different things. Easier said than done, so positive now means to me - having faith that I will  come out of it the other end. So, its okay to feel sad, angry, lonely, lost and insecure and still be positive. It's a matter of faith and I don't mean religion. I hope that my promise to embrace change comes easier this year. I have a feeling it will and it will also for you.

I too lost my confidence at work but it is now slowly emerging. I think we both have touched on new relationships or should I say companionship. December/January were difficult months for me too and I put down to the first anniversary. There was no escaping, the this time last year!

Ebony12, my husband and I to created a little piece of paradise in our garden too over the years.  Last year I worked on it alone (it was emotional at times, I did it justice and it was beautiful/healing to be close to nature) but did not really sit back and soak it in. I will do, this year though.

Night night all and with lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• ps Limbo - loved your travelling/road trip poem Xx