And now the anxiety attacks have started

• 7 replies
  • 27 subscribers

JUST ME GETTING IT OFF MY CHEST. It helps to put it in writing. Thats all my friends.

It's 15 weeks since losing my Anne. I've survived and know how to survive but that's all. Everything is 'flat.' the spark has gone out of my life. In the early weeks I was surprised at my strength to start a life living on my own and I even remember sending a post that was somewhat inspirational to that fact. Plu following on from this, dealing with all the legal matters, Annes Will, my updated Will,  including granting Power of Attorney to our two children kept me going because of frequent visits to my solicitor.  But as time has gone by I now  feel I'm going down. All  my goals have been reached and life has now become a day to day battle:  filling the hours with anything and talkink to anybody whilst  just waiting for  the late evening to come so I can go to sleep and get out of this world and find some peace. I'm lucky that getting to sleep isn't a problem for me. .I'm so mentally exhausted after a day of making the effort to carry on I drop off almost immediately, helped I admit along with a few beers. I'm 74 and so well into retirement. I have no bucket list. Every place I've ever wanted to go and everything I've wanted to achieve has been either with my darling by my side or along with her support. Before Anne passed she said it was OK if I found another woman similarly placed and so form another relationship. I told my beloved I was a one woman man, always have been, always will be, and that would never happen. And It wont !  And now the anxiety attacks have started. Hot flushes. Heart racing so hard I feel it will burst, along with a tightness and pain across my chest, and hands that shake uncontrollably. At first I thought I was having a fatal heart attack and so sat back in my chair to happlily will it on. But no such luck. For over 20yrs I've been on antidepressants for clinical depression and acute anxiety. ( police work can do that to you.) My meds are still working but not  working well since my sweet heart passed. I have no intention of going to the Doctors to have them increased because I don't want to get better. In fact I want to arrive at that state of mind when I'll be so down I'll be able to take charge of my own death. I know how I'll do it. No drama or mess for others to clear up. A clean clinical death. Perhaps I never will. Who knows? Rightly or wrongly I've told both our children about my feelings and if it ever comes to pass they are not to feel guilty because there is nothing they could have done or said to prevent it. Being strong people they saw the philosophical side of what I told them. One has mental health problems themself so he understood where I was coming from. The other has a high ranking job in the NHS dealing with death all the time so she too I know would be able to understand and cope. Naturally they aren't supporting me but neither are they breaking down and begging me never to do this. Wise. Strong. And philosophical people. I'm proud of them both.  I know some might say 'But Anne wouldnt want you to do this. She would want to you to create a new life.'  But you see: Im not Anne. Im me. And I have to tread my own path. At the moment I'm nowhere near doing anything. Perhaps I never will. Who knows' But its a satisfying plan B.

Light and Love.

Geoff

• Geoff I'm sorry that you're having panic attacks. They're awful. I'm not going to try and talk you out of your ultimate plan, can understand why you think like that.

I do hate it when people say that my husband wouldn't want me to be sad and I have to live for both of us. Of course they've never been in our situation.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • I think everyone on this site has had thoughts of passing themselves I know I have and if I was honest would welcome it I also have panic attacks ect I get hot flushes because of the medication im on but find all these symptoms are horrible

Ian
  • Geoff, I hope writing helped. I wrote a lot during the first 6 or 7 months -  thoughts, poems, letters to my husband. I still do from time to time. We really need to evacuate the pain. At least, you manage to sleep and get some relief.

I suppose many of us wonder why we're still here. I have no answer to that. Marriage was the best thing that had ever happened to me and I haven't waited till now to say it. I said it all through the years we'd been together. Now what?

There's not much any of us can say to comfort one another, unfortunately. Geoff, I just hope you'll get longer moments of peace, for want of a better word. I remember I was at my worst at about your timeframe. I was like you in the beginning, thinking I was coping not too badly, then I got turned upside-down and shaken like a rag-doll. It's better now, although the pain, sadness and depression are constant. The feeling of loss and emptiness has not gone away either but that sort of agony that you're describing has subsided.

Thinking of you.

• THANK YOU EVERYONE ....

....for your replies, thoughts and comments regarding my post. Yes I am going through a particularly bad patch at the moment along with anxiety attacks:  this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me  - as all of us are experiencing!  !  As I said in my post  Im nowhere near thinking of doing anything dramatic, its just a thought I had should the distant future prove to be totally unbearable. I just needed to get it down in writing as a type of cathartic release - a form of self therapy perhaps?  Thank you all again x

Love and Light 

Geoff.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi Jeff,

It resonates with me when you say that you have survived and you know how to survive but that everything is flat. Even after one and a half years, I have days when I feel like that. However, sometimes I feel that life is a little more than surviving again, that I can actually find joy in things and see a reason for being here and for making an effort to live my life as best I can. For example, I recently bought a new sofa bed and I am also thinking to buy two more armchairs from the same lace because they are very comfortable and I would like to have them. Another example is that I have signed up for a Doula course in the UK early next year because I do want to work in end of life and palliative care.

I also know the waiting for the late evening to come so that it is bad time and I can go to bed. I haven't felt this in a long time, but I remember it being a constant feeling every single day for a number of months after Paul's death. I felt like sleep was the only safe place for me, the only place where I didn't have to make an effort. Thankfully, like yourself, I never had a problem sleeping, which is also due to my taking a sleeping tablet every night.

From the symptoms you describe it really sounds like it is panick attacks. And, given the fact that you had things to do for such a long time and now find yourself with so much time on your hands, having done all the things you wanted to do and with no particular goals for the future, it is very understandable that they would arise now. I used to be the same occasionally after Paul's death, haven't had it for a long time now.

It saddens me to read that you don't want to go to the doctor to have your medication increased and that you don't want to get better. I can understand it in a way and know that I have sometimes thought myself that perhaps it would be best if this life was over. And of course you are in a very different age group to myself. And yet, wouldn't it be good to be well for as long as you can be? I mean, imagine you will be here for another 10 years or so, which I am sure your kids would be happy about, wouldn't it be good to experience that time as a panick attack free time? Wouldn't it be as good as you can be? And wouldn't that also be a way of honoring your life with anne? I am not judging your thoughts in any way but I am really trying to have a conversation about it.

I was kind of sick over the last couple of weeks with a strange persistent cough and, as I would call it, problems in my throat chakra. And, as time went on and it didn't go away, I kind of felt worried and it was at that moment that I realised: No, I actually don't want my life to be oever "only" because Paul died. I mean, yes, it is terribly sad that he did die and I wish he didn't have to go but this doesn't mean that I want to be dead now as well.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Thanks Mel ....

....for your very inspiring reply. And thank you again for sharing such personal information and your  inner feelings. To be honest I really feel uncomfortable about the thought I might go on for another ten years. In my imagination I would be existing just for the sake of it. For so many years my darling Anne was my focus of attention. Because of her various  illnesses and disabilities my world was taking her to the many hospital appointments, doctor, and clinical appointments she needed plus asking her during  every bit of free time we had  " Where would you like us to go tomorrow my love?"  Anne loved shopping and  looking through M&S,  her favourite store. My whole life was lived through my sweet hearts needs. And it was an honour and a privilage to do so. All I needed was a few days fishing now and again -  and nothing else Mel. Now there is this huge vacuum in my life that can't be filled because it once contained the love of my life. You see I'm not a  'Me.'  person. I never have been. I'm an 'Us.' person and that has been taken away with Anne's passing. And as a life long person of 'inner reflection.'  concerning how I operate as a human being  I know that my life can never be enriched again as I once knew it. I admit I would be grateful to be able to pass away now, or as soon as possible. My life's quest is over. To draw a parallel. I'm like an international sports person who has succeeded beyond all their  wildest expectations but at  the peek of their career - and through injury - is now confined to a wheel chair. 

Love and Light 

Geoff.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• I think that probably sums it up Geoff.  We have all done all the things we wanted to do, although would have wanted longer and now what is left. Nothing much for us to achieve, nothing much to really look forward to or enjoy except maybe family.  We are still wanted and needed. Doesn’t help us much, but we can help them maybe xx