Volunteering

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

Having just been diagnosed with cancer and about to begin chemo, I wish to devote time to volunteering. I live in Aberystwyth, Wales, and feel that there must be something that I can do. But I can't get any local information. Are you able to help?

• Hello  

My name is Steph and I’m part of the Community team here at Macmillan. May I wish you another warm welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry that you have recently been diagnosed with cancer and I hope you are finding it helpful to be able to talk to others in similar circumstances here in the forums. We know it can be really helpful to connect with people who understand what you're going through because they have been there themselves.

Thank you so much for getting in touch about volunteering. I am responding here to share some information and contact details so you can find out more, once you’re ready. It's absolutely amazing that you're looking to help others, but please do make sure that you are looking after yourself first and foremost. 

On the volunteering for Macmillan pages here on our main website you can find some information and an option to search for opportunities in your area.

If you have questions, or would like to talk through your options, please get in touch with the Macmillan team at volunteering@macmillan.org.uk or call 0300 1000 200. This telephone number is for our central Supporter Care team who deal with all initial volunteering enquiries.

You might also want to contact your local Macmillan centre to ask about volunteering locally. The Hywel Dda Cancer Information Support Service (CISS) can be contacted on MacmillanCISS.HDD@wales.nhs.uk or telephone Sarah West on 01970 613888

Our Information & Support Advisors and other experts here in the Ask the Expert forums are here to answer any questions you might have about cancer. You can also speak to our Support Line teams 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

Please do get back in touch should you need any further help.

Kind Regards

Steph
    Online Community Officer