Recommended law firms for Disability Discrimination?

  • 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi there. I understand from a conversation earlier this week with Macmillan, that the law firm previously used by them to support cancer patients, is no longer operating. Is there a list of recommended law firms that people can suggest I contact, please?



  • Hi  

    It's Megan here from Macmillan's Online Community team. I just wanted to let you know the Work Support Team has received your question and will respond as soon as they can. Over then Bank Holiday the Money and Work teams are working limited hours and the Work support service will resume on Tuesday. 

    If you need to speak to someone over the phone, please call 0808 808 00 00 between 8am and 6pm from Tuesday-Friday where the Work Support Team can help you. 

    In the meantime, I hope you will find support from connecting with others in our forums and contact the Macmillan Support Line if you need emotional support over the weekend. 

    Best wishes, 

    Macmillan's Online Community team

  • Hi Side to side

    My name is Linda  and I am a Work Support Adviser on our National Support Line. I can advise on your Rights at Work if you or someone else has been diagnosed with Cancer.

    I am pleased that you mentioned you have already contacted us for some advice on the telephone. I hope this was helpful.

    Unfortunately we are unable to recommend any specific Law Firms. I can provide a list of options for you to find free or affordable Legal Support.

    The Citizens Advice (CAB) website provide comprehensive advice about the options.

    The nearest CAB office often help with problems about employment rights and discrimination and there is also a national phone line: 0800 144 8848 (England) and 0800 702 2020 (Wales).  The website link is:

    Finding a solicitor

    A solicitor can be found who advises on employment through the Law Society website. Sometimes an initial interview may be free or at a fixed cost. There may also be an option for a ‘no win no fee’ representation. Some solicitors may provide advice through ‘legal aid’.

    Checking insurance policies for any legal insurance cover for employment issues. This is usually known as legal expenses insurance.


    Law Centres and Law Works.

    Some Law Centres offer free employment advice. Often an appointment needs to be made in advance. The centres can be found on the following link:

    Getting help from an Advocate

    If the case is going to a tribunal it can be possible to access a volunteer barrister for representation as an advocate if unable to access Legal Aid:

    Trade Unions

    Trade unions can offer free legal help such as finding or paying for a solicitor. The shop steward or workplace representative can be approached or contact the unions head office.


    Getting legal aid

    Legal Aid can help meet the costs of legal advice if the case is eligible for legal aid, not being able to afford to pay the legal costs and feel (in the case of employment) that an employee feels that they have been discriminated against. Evidence is needed of not being able to pay the costs towards the legal costs of the case and some money may have to paid back later. The information here is based upon England and Wales. There are different rules for legal aid in Scotland and Northern Ireland:

    Help can be offered on rights and options, negotiations and paperwork and the support of a solicitor or barrister to get a case ready and will speak on the person’s behalf in court/tribunal.

    Financial eligibility is based upon an assessment with the Civil Legal Advice national helpline. There is an on-line assessment or this:


    I hope this has answered your question but please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions. The Work Support Team are available Monday - Friday 8am -6pm on 0808 808 0000 ( press option 1,2,3) 

    Kind Regards



    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email