The End

1 minute read time.

My mum's condition has deteriorated rapidly over the past few days.  Yesterday, the doctors at the hospice told us that the end was near for my mum and that she had a few days to live.  I don't know how it happened and it's almost as if something happened overnight Sunday to push her into the final stage.

Today she arrived home.  We have a special hospital bed in the dining room and we are sitting with her.  My sister and I had a talk with her and we said what we wanted to say.  Her pupils are fixated at the moment and she can't talk coherently at all.  But she can hear us though.

People have been coming to visit her all evening.  We have been told to expect her to go at any time now.  I was very angry for a while today.  Angry because I felt, and still do feel a little, that the doctors have let my mum die.  Somehow the 'there's nothing we can do' line really doesn't seem good enough.  The resignation and defeatism in the face of cancer seems immoral. 

My mum has done so much for me and I am forever in her debt.  She is my hero and I have such deep admiration for the life she has led.  I am so proud of her for what she has done.  I told her all this today. 

I've no idea how 'it' happens or what is the normal rate of deterioration.  But I have been shocked and horrified by her decline in recent days.  I honestly expected a few more months. 

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

i am so sorry to hear about your mum. i know how i would feel if it were mine.  please accept my best wishes for you and your family. i hope you all manage to get thru this difficult time.

hugs and kisses     sue xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Yil,

So sorry your mum has declined so rapidly; but I am glad that you managed to bring her home, like she wanted.  She is an amazing mum and you are a wonderful daughter Yil.  I wish I could say something that would make it all better for you, but you know that I am always here for you.  

Hugs

Nic xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Tiggs x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

try not to think of this as the end but the beginning of your mums new start, she will be out of pain and free from this awful disease, i am 25 just diagnosed cervical cancer its a very hard time for everyone in the family and i find my loved ones feel useless because they cant do anything to help but just being ther with ur mum during this scary time for her is the best thing for u all. i hope ur mothers passing is pain free and peacful. will be tinking of you. good night and god bless to ur mother and hope she has a peaceful passing with her loved ones around xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am so sorry to hear about your Mum. It's really good that she is able to be at home with you and your family at this time.

Thinking of you and your family.

Becky

x