Reflecting on a Surreal Week

1 minute read time.

My mum came home from the hospice on Tuesday evening.  The doctors said she probably would only have a few days left.  But she is still here with us. Her breathing is rattly now and she has a lot of phlegm on her chest.  She has gone a pale colour and isn't opening her eyes now.  She stops breathing sometimes and then starts again and the pulse is not regular now. 

We are all spending as much time with her possible.  We have been surrounded by family and friends for the last week.  I am immensely proud of my mum and of how hard she has fought.  You can tell she doesn't want to leave us.  She looks very peaceful now. 

As for me, this has been the most surreal week of my life.  Waiting for someone to die is the most unnatural thing.  It feels as if the world has stopped for us.  I am very calm at the moment though.  My mum has been so dignified and graceful throughout her period of illness that I think some of that has rubbed off onto me. The only place I've been to is the supermarket to buy food for us.

After things have moved on, I am going to write a piece about my mum's life for my blog.  She has been through so much and I find her life story to be remarkable.  I won't be able to do her justice with words, but I would like the world to know about my mum.  I used to write poetry, but I think this time I will write a short piece about some of the key events in her life.

Anonymous