still wondering

Less than one minute read time.

I was "lucky" enough to be put on Anfatinib 40mgs. I t was horrendous, nose bleeds, bleeding gums, facial rash and, worse of all, constant diarrhoea so next time I saw the oncologist, I only agreed to try 20 mgs rather than the 30 mgs he had in mind. Sadly, same result and I decided on Sunday that I am not going to spend every evening of my life from now on in the bathroom with diarrhoea. I had clearly understood from the nurse that before my appointment, I should have a Scan but I had no appointment for this so I rang today, as instructed only to be told by the same nurse that Scans only come quarterly. So I remain confused, do I go for an X ray next week or not? Given my advanced age and the treatment is only palliative, why continue with expensive treatment when it is only delaying the inevitable? I really would appreciate some clarity in what I am told as well. Sorry to moan but I am really struggling with this cancer thing.

Anonymous
  • Magda, you haven't filled in your profile so we don't know much about you apart from lung cancer.  However i would say don't think about the cost of anything just what you would like.  This is a time to be selfish.  I have an xray every three or four months and a scan probably once a year.  Some would say its not enough but it suits me.  I had a trial drug a few years ago and it nearly killed me!!!!!  I didn't stay on it long, quality rather than quantity is important to me.  This may not suit everyone, everyone has their own thoughts.  Just do whats right for you. Xx

• You might be getting a CT scan rather than an MRI. I have an MRI every 3 months. i think i would ring again and question if you do actually need the scan.

I feel blessed to nave the NHS on my side I hope we never lose it. I see what you mean about delaying the inevitable but they have to do all they can to save you. If you don't want to be saved thats another whole story lol but they will do their best. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi prettyfedup. Trust me, I'd LOVE to be saved but it isn't going to happen so the question is, do I accept treatment which may well make me feel lousy (OK, it may not) and still have to face the inevitable, or do I have a week like this one when I have met up with friends for the first time in weeks and enjoyed it and then face what's coming?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi roni2008. I gave my basic details in my first blog and there isn't much more of interest to say, I think. I do share your share your perspective on quality of life and it is this I am reluctant to sacrifice when I have been told the condition is incurable so, try as they might, they can't save me in the end.