A note on feelings and mental instability!

1 minute read time.

When I first had the diagnosis I was expecting the bad news having done some background research; I think this numbed the impact of having to look it in the face and do something about it... If at all possible... 

Clearly there are a number of outcomes, none of which are pleasant and I had to haul myself in on the catastophisation... And concentrate on going through this a step at a time... 

Consider also that people who are close to me will be deeply affected by the process and outcomes... 

So I felt numb for the first couple of months, but always looking forward to a positive outcome... I would say that my mood was low with cheery peaks of insanity and gallows humour.... There is an awful lot of inevitable introspection to be doing... 

The result of the laparoscopy... The final test to consider my suitability for the Ivor operation hit me like an inward explosion of a reality check... I am a borderline case in that my lymph nodes appear to need reigning in if the operation is to have a decent chance of removing all the cancer. 

The upshot is that I need 6 sessions of chemotherapy starting Fri 13th Jan... Then re testing to make sure that the pesky critters have been corralled into a more manageable shape... 

This made me feel like I had finally lost control... While having to remain positive... Morale is rather important here I feel... So we keep going... Onward and upwards! 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good luck on the dreaded 13th! I hope it all goes smoothly and delivers the lymph node control for you xxx

• Keep your sense of humour it helps even if some of it shocks people. I was with my wife in a shopping centre a couple of weeks before Christmas and I have noticed over the years the growth in the amount of cancer " charities " . When approached by one of the employees and asked if I would like to give something to cancer I shocked my wife and the worker when I said I could give you my cancer. I just can't help myself and I found it funny in that moment.

Good luck Frank

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ha yes... The humour isn't going anywhere... Though I've noticed that cancer seems to still be quite a taboo subject and definately not to be brought up at the dinner table... I'm sure that there are people who think it's contagious...