A day of Cisplatin followed by 5FU – in a pump – to take out….

2 minute read time.

Another day in the chair - in the time it had taken to say hello to Pete, taken my Emend anti Emetic pill, fended off a barrage of tea offers and logged into the network, I was half way through my fluids, intravenous anti Emetic and wotnot – with just about enough time to spare for an episode of “Breaking Bad” before getting into the Cisplatin Chemo drug for 3 hours…

That whistled past – with a couple of visits to the loo to freshen up after all the tea and assorted lashings of intravenous fluids… plenty of opportunity for a gentle wander round the building steering the drip (a bit like trying to keep your over refreshed mate on the pavement after a night out) to see if I could find a phone signal… I did also have a snooze and read a book for a bit – took in a video.

It really is still to me – having had a second go at this now – a futuristic Orwellian trip – with the same sort of frustrations of a trans-Atlantic flight (I’m sure they make it deliberately hot in the afternoons so you’ll nod off and behave) and the addition of a very comfy chair…or… it also reminds me of “Carry on Screaming” where Odd Bodd et al go and get plugged in to recharge for a bit!

Not suffering any ill effects, this time I drove myself home – with a stop off on the way home at Toyota to have a pheasant removed from the front grille of the car… if you're squeamish then don't look at the picture at the bottom - I've added plenty of spaces in so you can avoid it - but it caused quite a lot of "not seen one like that before guv" at the garage!

So day 3 into Cycle 2 and what’s it like?  For me, I’m back on the basic foods as anything else causes an acidic type irritation feeling; similar to rubbing ground glass into the affected area I should imagine… this I’m assuming will change as I’m told it’s mainly brought on by the anti emetic steroids – the last of which I’m due to have tomorrow.

Sleep – I had 2 hours on and 2 hours off last night… and here’s a new one… I had a crampy type sensation a couple of times; akin to having my oesophagus wrung out like a damp sock – extremely painful – started at the back – moved round to the front and then went – over the course of around 5 mins…

So apart from that and the general sense of bewilderment I have nothing else to report – ah yes – some good news – I’ve a CT scan scheduled for Weds to check progress… seems to have come around quite quickly.... if you don't like "grilled" pheasant then look away now!

Anonymous
  • Andy when you go for the CT scan you may have to remind them if you can't lie flat. A few weeks after surgery I had to have an MRI scan and had to try hold myself up as they gave me 2 soft useless pillows. With no valve at my new stomach and oesophagus the there is nothing to stop the acid reflux. I'm sure you will get through it, good luck.

Frank

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

And a very good point indeed... Especially as I seem to remember the last thing they get you to do before the final bit is to have a good long drink of water... After this chemo malarkey I don't particularly want to go choking on my own vomit! Mind you... It's very rock star ish... Bon Scott.. Jon bonham et al!