What's the worst that could happen?

1 minute read time.

I wrote this last week, when I'd just had a call from the unit about an appointment I wasn't expecting. It really helped me to put it down on (virtual) paper, but I didn't feel I could post it until I knew the answer. I now know the answer, so here goes

Tuesday 13 December
LondonLass suggested thinking through (sensible) worst case scenarios, so that you are prepared and anything less is a relief rather than a shock. I got a call today to say that an appointment had been made for me with the MDT in the breast unit, which was a bit of a shock because I thought they had handed me over to oncology until I'd completed chemo. But since they did that, I've had CT and MRI scans, the FNA of the swollen lymph node has come back, and maybe also the outstanding PR and HER2 results. But what, in that, means they need to see me again to 'discuss things from our end' right now? My mind is working overtime and there's nearly a week to go.
So here goes. Worst case scenarios.
1. It's spread. Secondary. Elsewhere. OK. We deal. One step at a time. Where? Options. Outcomes.
2. It's more extensive/complex in the breast/lymph nodes than they originally thought, lumpectomy unlikely to be an option. Mastectomy. Fine.
3. Lefty's microcalcifications are more sinister than the biopsy suggested. Bilateral mastectomy. Fine. Do it. I might have suggested it anyway.

And the answer? Option 2. Best of a bad job, I reckon.

Anonymous