Finding a lump

1 minute read time.

23 October: Small person drives an elbow into the top of my boob. Again. I rub it. Is that a lump? Pretty sure it wasn't there last time this happened. Yes, definitely a lump.

24 October: GP says it's probably a cyst, but she's referring me on two-week-wait because of my age (40)

27 October: Find a lump in armpit. S***.

31 October: Consultant. She thinks it's probably a cyst, and swollen lymph glands are not unusual in slim people like me (Yes! Result!). Sends me for mammogram and ultrasound. Boob leaks yellow stuff in mammogram machine. Go for ultrasound. In comes a different consultant. "We haven't mentioned it yet, but we need to do a biopsy". Uh-oh, I think, not just a cyst. Two biopsies of the lump, plus FNA of the lymph node.

Back to consultant. "I graded it a 2/3, which means benign/likely benign. They've graded it 5, which means likely malignant". S***. "Also" she continues "there are microcalcifiations in the other breast that we'd like to check". 

More biopsies on the other side, while jammed in a mammogram machine (dignified). Stopped counting at 7, but eventually they got some good ones. Bled rather a lot. Sat in small room with biscuits until they were willing to let me leave.

Took child trick-or-treating. Happy Hallowe'en...

Anonymous