Perfect storm.

3 minute read time.

Yesterday was a bad day. One of the worst in the last year. I have no idea why, I suppose a perfect storm of lots of little things all gathering together hitting me all at once. 

Maybe a couple of years ago I would have coped and just moved on, but yesterday I came to a stop. A great big stop. The help and support of one special friend I made on here on this site got me through the day. I will remember her help and that day forever, and I really do  mean that. 

I blogged a while ago about being honest and telling my husband  how I really felt and that it made me feel better. Well it did... for a while. It did because for a few days I think he took it on board and thought about what I’d said, thought about what I’d been through, how it’s changed me, how tired I get, how underneath all of my smiles and cheerfulness I feel broken sometimes, but sadly he seems to have forgotten everything I told him. You see his life is different to mine, he can dip in and out of being understanding, he has a ‘secure’ future, mine is built on sand, he will never understand that. It’s not his fault, and I’m truly glad he’s not in this place where I am, because I do love this man with all of my heart, he has been my whole life. Yes I feel let down but I accept that maybe tiredness has made me feel worse. 

We are at my daughters, we have been rushing around visiting relatives for the last three weeks, it’s been lovely, but I am tired, I am very tired, I have a cold that won’t go and I’m not sleeping, we have been decorating for the last week, we have  been so so busy, this is where the problem lies. When he has things to occupy his mind he’s happy, very happy but I get the feeling he then forgets how I feel, how fragile my feelings are, how tired and scared I feel at times. He’s wrapped up in this diy that he loves doing and there’s room for nothing else in his head.

I don’t even know why I’m writing this because it won’t change any thing but I think it clears my head.

So I’ve just been downstairs to get some honey as my throat is so sore, he was in the kitchen getting some biscuits because he woke up, probably because I had a cough,  I said I had a very sore throat, he just turned around and went to bed. I stood in the kitchen and cried, we are at our daughters house so I have to be quiet, there has been another issue recently too but I won’t go into that. All I can say is that I feel so very let down. After 34 years of being together I feel sad, so bloody sad. Maybe I’m just unloveable now. 

That’s how I feel right now. A year ago I was fighting for my life, I’d just shaved off all of my hair and had started chemo, I thought my  life would be special  if I got through it. Now I wonder about everything. Perhaps I’m just exhausted. 

Tomorrow we have a long journey home in the car, perhaps I need to ask him a few questions. Maybe he wants out? I wouldn’t blame him. 

Anyway if anyone is reading this sorry for the depressing blog but I said I’d be honest , and there it is, that’s what honesty looks like and sometimes it’s not pretty.

One thing is for sure, yesterday was a turning point for me, I reached rock bottom and I am going to claw myself back up somehow, I just don’t know how yet.

Anonymous
  • Well Hun, that was a very honest and beautifully written post. It brought tears to my eyes because after seeing you so happy on Saturday I feel sad that you now feel so alone! I want to reach out and give you the biggest hug! I want you to come back and spend more time with me! I can listen to you and I can empathise with you and above all else I can tell you that all of this is perfectly normal!

You admit yourself that you have just been through the scariest, crappiest and loneliest year of your life. You, like most of us went from one treatment to the next, didn't pass GO did not collect £200, you were in your own little world, your one aim being to beat this bloody disease! Well you did that part! Now for the even trickier part!

Now why is this trickier? I hear you asking! Because this is the part where you have to face up to ALL the thoughts and feelings that you didn't have time to deal with over the last year! This my friend is where you allow yourself time and it does take time, to work through everything!

You will find days, like yesterday, when tears flow for no reason! But when you stop and think about it there was a reason! You were mourning the loss of your security! The loss of your carefree life where you plodded along quite happily without a care in the world, a life where you would do what you want when you wanted, then BAM breast Cancer reared its ugly head and that was all taken away in one fail swoop on the day they said, "I'm sorry JMC04 it's Cancer"!

So does this mean you will never be happy again? NO! Does it mean you will always feel sad? NO! Does it mean you need to work through some emotions and that you may need help to do that? YES! BUT it's doable Hun! Really it is! 

I have seen you with Mr P and I could see how much he loves you! Maybe he needs a gentle reminder that you are feeling fragile? I also wonder whether you might benefit from seeing a counsellor? At some point! Maybe once you have moved it might be easier! It might just give you the space and time to say all those things that are going around and around in your head that you aren't able to say to the ones you love!

You have so much going on at the moment and it must be hard to feel on the outside of all that happiness. But Hun, YOU ARE CURRENTLY, NED! That is fantastic and you are allowed to be happy! It won't come back just because you allow yourself to have some fun and enjoy life for a bit! IF it comes back you can deal with it then, but don't let the fear of what might never happen, take away the time you have now! You have so much going on, GOOD things! 2018 could be the best year ever! But only if you allow it to be!

Time to start being kind to yourself! Being more open with Mr P or maybe just share with a friend!! You know where I am! Take Care my Friend! Xxxx

p.s. See I can babble on just as much as you xx

• Thank you so much, all of what you said made perfect sense. I think I’m just tired and exhausted.

Thank you my lovely friend for being there and for your wise words.

Lets see what today brings, surely it cannot be as bad as yesterday?

Xxx

• Jmc04 I thanked you last time for writing and I thank you again. We haven't spoke often I don't think but I was diagnosed same time and I always read your posts. We seem SO similar I understand so much been with hubby since 18 now 49. But I feel so different to him now at times and actually jealous we have our family we've built together but now I may have to leave them if this comes back. He will still have them all. At weekend I cried and said I didn't want him to ever be with anyone else he said he could never replace me. He loves,me so much but I know he'd probably move on it time. I'm trying so hard to move on but inside I'm still heartbroken. If I get secondary my children will be put through so much. It's awful isn't it. Had my first mammogram and had to have it repeated due to technical error but even if it's clear ill still have this over me. Thanks again it's,lovely you're so honest it helps me feel not so alone xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So glad that I've joined - I feel exactly the same way. I've just finished chemotherapy (last Friday) and I had strange thoughts from relief to emotional/fearful. When we got home my husband ran himself a bath and relaxed! And that was it! I presume he thought- well that's over now, got a break over Christmas then start last hurdle - 3 weeks of radiotherapy. I spoke to him about it and we ended up rowing. Lovely! I've just come to the conclusion that no one really knows what it's like unless it happens to you. I can understand that but thought my husband would understand more than anyone else but obviously not.

Maybe he's trying to keep positive and 'normal' and I'm just being over sensitive but I feel disappointed that I'm trying to work out his feelings and not the other way round. It's made me feel better knowing that other people have felt the same way and my husband is not that unusual!

I feel like I have to keep my true feelings under wraps because I don't feel elated- I feel frightened and that I will never be the same again. I really have to get my head round this as I really don't want to live in fear of the cancer returning. That's what frightens me the most - that I won't be the same as before all this happened. I've lost my sparkle.

Can't believe I'm writing this. I've written notes along the way just to myself which has helped but thought I'd write on here when I read the earlier posts.

Thanks for reading.

• Hey JMC

I'm sorry you're going through this too. It's awful.

Please do keep writing on here. It does help to get it all out. Please also consider what Sal says about trying counselling. Sometimes a professional can ask the questions in a way that helps us to understand what's happening in our addled brains better.

Even though I was expecting to have a rough time post treatment, and got myself on antidepressants in preparation, it's still a daily battle to climb out of the hole and get living again. Exhausted. No motivation. Hubby doesn't seem to notice. And he's depressed and sleeps ALL the time. I am on the waiting list for counselling now - another month or so to go.

Thank goodness for this place, and the friends we have here eh?

BIG HUGS

xx