Oesophageal cancer let the battle commence

4 minute read time.

Continuing with the story,when I was transferred to the new ward I was on a few drips one being a nutrition drip. The wards were quite possessive of their equipment and the nutrition bag was shut off while it was transferred to the new ward's pump and stand, same with the morphine. The alarm to alert the staff that there was a flow problem went off on both pumps a couple of times and a nurse came in and hit the snooze button before checking and finding that they had forgotten to open the valves again. Finally I got the pain relief and the nutrition going back in. After the shift change over the charge nurse said that she had b told I wasn't drinking enough and not walking. I told her I had been warned not to try walking on my own and was on nil by mouth only allowed to suck a sponge swab. She went and checked my notes and apologised , she had been misinformed! A day or so later I was off the morphine and getting soluble paracetamol in a small amount of water,half a plastic vending cup to be precise and lanzoprazole which dissolved under the tongue. I still had several drain tubes and the horrible one down the nose into the stomach. I had a chest infection and the wound on my back was leaking puss, I wasn't feeling to good,despite being told by my surgeon and team how well I was doing. Day shift came in and a nurse I had never seen came to give me my pill's, 2 large paracetamol tablets. I told her I couldn't swallow them they should be soluble and she told me I was being rude, she left. I broke down as the doctors were coming round they asked what was wrong and I said I am putting my trust in you and I am scared things are not being communicated properly. My surgeon decided to get the drain's out of my nose and lung,the nurse I had the altercation with over the tablets came in and we made our peace and she was excellent removing the drain's. The relief especially from the nasal drain being removed was wonderful. The nurse had talked me through taking It out said once out to give my nose a right good blow she could see it needed It. I told her I had a nosebleed earlier she said not to worry about that just blow. Oh the joy and relief, I filled 2 paper hankies and I never felt the drain tube being removed from my chest. Within 2-4 hours I felt wonderful I couldn't believe the difference, I felt now that it was worthwhile what I had been through. They put me on an antibiotic drip and blasted the chest infection and infection in the back wound and I started to feel that I was getting better. My surgeon said I was doing wonderful and they were all amazed at how well I had recovered. He said that I hadn't really appreciated that it was a major operation and praised me for doing so well and having a great positive attitude. I was moved to a quieter ward a couple of days later and put on a soup's and puddings diet and the nutritional drip about 7:00pm every night which I am still on. I was discharged on 15th October,12 days after the Ivor Lewis surgery. Eating fine for first 2 weeks but last week I had a few problems swallowing food and drinks. I called the hospital and was told that it was part of the healing process,however I think it is trapped wind although I don't feel it. Sipping hot water and pulling in stomach muscles seems to help, I just have to be careful with what I eat. I'm back in for the results with the consultant on 25th November, hopefully it will be good news. I was lucky before I went in a month beforehand I had a free session with a Neurolinguistical programmer which gave me a positive attitude. I believe it was the game changer that gave me the positive attitude, I have no idea how it works but I felt like my head had been given a spring clean. I am still on the food drip and get the wound dressing on my back changed by the local nurse and occasionally have difficulty swallowing. However I believe it was worth going through the surgery as I couldn't even get the ensure milkshake to go down prior to the surgery. I shall update the blogs as I progress. Fear and worry are natural and can be conquered, in the early weeks after diagnosis when my wife was working I cried and cried until I couldn't cry anymore I didn't want to die! So take all the support you can and don't be afraid to ask questions and make your own decisions. It's you who is going through this it must be your decision, that is what my wife said and I have the greatest respect and love for her that she allowed me to do so along with my 24 year old high functioning autistic son. They gave me the strength and support and still do and I love them all the more. I'll update when anything else to add.

Anonymous