Brief update

1 minute read time.

Hello to anyone interested, I've had nothing major to say on my recovery recently. After Ivor Lewis procedure on 3rd October, discharged on 15th October first two weeks eating was going well then at end of October started to get swallowing difficulties. I phoned hospital and was told that it was part of the healing process and too soon after the surgery to do anything. Had my follow up appointment with consultant surgeon on 25th November told me I had a 20-25% chance of survival up to 5 years. I told him about swallowing difficulties and he got me in for gastroscopy on the 30th. Had gullet dilated to 18mm and swallowing difficulties sorted now. From 7th December nutritionist nurse put me on alternate nights for food supplement coming back on 21st to check my weight. 10th December I noticed a stitch out on stoma, I phoned Edinburgh royal Infirmary on Monday 12th and as it's over a 60 miles round trip they contacted St Johns Livingston who told me to go to A&E and doctor would put a stitch in. After a 3 hours wait the nurse decided he wasn't putting a stitch in and told me to come back tomorrow as a consultant from Edinburgh royal Infirmary would be there and would stitch it then. Went back on Tuesday and after about 2 3/4 hours the consultant had a look and said I will put a stitch in that for you. 6 bloody hours to do the obvious ! So far so good and I am counting my blessings compared to some others I consider myself lucky that's all I have to worry about. I may not be able to eat whatever I want but at least I can eat again, small and often. Good luck to anyone who has any type of cancer and keep fighting. Enjoy the Christmas festivities if you are able, I don't intend this one to be my last but I am going to try to enjoy it like it is. Life's too short enjoy each day as it comes. Peace and love to you all and may you find comfort and happiness in whatever way you can.

Anonymous
  • Hello Zappaman,

I know I've said it before, but yours was the first post I read on that awful night when I couldn't sleep and I joined Macmillan. It's so good to see that things are settling down for you, things do get better and you've showed me that when at times I didn't think they could and you've given me great advice and encouragement as I go through this rollercoaster ride.

I am making the most of the days when I feel positive and trying to be kinder to myself when I feel down.

I've got to go for my second chemo session now, but I wanted to say a big thank you for all the help you've taken the time to give me.

Hope you and your family have a good day, hugs to you all. Must get a move on.

• JM, thanks for your kind thoughts and you should be proud of yourself the way you are coping. We all help each other on this community site and I have been touched and have taken strength from reading your blogs. Some of the other replies you have had are also helpful. I hope your chemotherapy goes well for you, without any problems and side effects I took a short trip to the shopping mall in Livingston with my wife and son, he needed a new jacket and I was looking for winter boots without lots of lacing up required. We got the jacket but I won't pay the ridiculous prices for boots, I'll wait until the January sales. So we came home because I couldn't be bothered. Getting a visit from the nutritionist nurse tomorrow afternoon and weight checked and a delivery of food supplement in the morning. So that's tomorrow taken care of, exciting stuff eh ! Hugs and best wishes to you and your family.

Frank