Nausea Nightmares

1 minute read time.

Poor Ned, he has had such a difficult couple of days.

Yesterday his head started to hurt. We weren't sure (still aren't) if the issue lies in the recent medication change, or if this is simply a very bad migraine (he has struggled with these his whole life). He spent all day yesterday in bed, and only managed to eat a small portion of ravioli (half a tin).

Today we had an appointment at the hospital, with the swallowing expert, nutritionist and Macmillan keyworker. Ned was no better than yesterday, in fact he was worse. Nauseous. We contacted the hospital to ask if the appointment could be delayed, but unfortunately it wasn't possible. 

So we  bundled him into the car with a pillow and drove. As we pulled into the hospital car park, Ned flung the car door open and vomited on the concrete. We sat for a while (we always get there early as parking spaces can be hard to find) whilst he got his breath back, then slowly headed in. 

The appointment lasted a long time, poor Ned just sat shaking, as pale as the walls, with his head in his hands. I did the best I could. I took notes, asked questions, and tried to gather all the information I could. The team thought I was a bit funny, with my notebook and folder. It's the way I cope. I take notes, make lists, and organise. 

After the appointment I drove us back home, and Ned went to bed. He has woken up several times during the day to vomit, I just stand there pathetically with a glass of water. The last time he woke he didn't throw up, he just asked for a cup of tea... so that's something. I'm hoping he's on the mend... either by the medication side effects settling down, or the migraine passing. I really hope to, we are at another hospital tomorrow.

The worst part of today is that I know this is just the beginning.

Anonymous