Early days

Less than one minute read time.

So now I have been given the awful news I am thinking about what is to come .

I know I need to take each day at a time and just stand and wait in the queue looking at the scenery for the moment instead of thinking about the ride that is to come .

Incise  you don't understand the rollercoaster part , i am a very visual thinking person and this is kind of how i imagine the start of my journey .

I will hopefully update my blog as much as possible to remind myself of things and hopeful bring me comfort if things get tough .

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

H

Maria

I was diagnosed on 14th July and I know exactly what you mean. I've been describing my emotions as a roller coaster (I hate roller coasters). I'm now at the decision on treatment stage and the roller coaster keeps on rolling. I've just joined this forum and hopefully can gain strength from every one on here because it does feel very isolating even when surrounded by people.

Good luck on you're journey

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

THanks for your reply. It's a horrible roller coaster and I hate them too.

I hope you get your treatment plan sorted soon and find lots of good support and advice from this page .

I won't be telling my kids till next Tuesday as my oldest is off to Ibiza tomorrow morning not that I have the first clue how to go about telling them .

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Maria 712

You may find this will give you some pointers.

'Talking to Children and Teenagers When Someone has Cancer'

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry Maria 712

It looks like the link may not be working - this what it mentions on the support pages.....

Teenagers usually understand what’s going on in terms of the cancer, but they can be reluctant to talk about it. They may find it hard to talk to you or show how they feel. It’s important to encourage them to ask any questions they have and make sure they feel involved.

Teenagers may be keen to help out. But they may have to do more at home when they want to be more independent and spend less time in the house. This can make them feel angry and guilty at the same time. Sometimes their behaviour may seem hurtful to themselves or others.

How to help:

• Tell them about useful sources of information.
    • Ask them what they think and include them in the same way as you’d include an adult.
    • Help them see that talking about feelings is a positive and mature way of coping. Encourage them to talk to someone close, such as their friends, a relative or a family friend.
    • Make sure they keep up with friendships, activities and normal life as much as possible.
    • Give them time and space to themselves when they want it.
    • Keep to usual rules and limits – these can be even more important now than before.
    • Explain that they might need to help out a bit more with things like cooking, tidying up or looking after younger siblings. But tell them that you’ll let them know when they’re doing enough.
    • Show them you appreciate their help.

Allowing teenagers to help out shows them that you need and trust them. Talk to them about it first and don’t allow them to take on too much responsibility.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you dreamthief  I really appreciate that . 

My hubby and I have decided to tell our younger 2 age 14 and 18 on Friday as then they have the weekend with us  before school and work on Monday.

I'm having a sad day today and am very tearful and scared of the journey ahead of me  but I guess that's to be expected .

X