Intro!

1 minute read time.

Hello!

Just a quick introduction. My name is Meg, I'm 22 and on the 4th July 2016 I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.

This blog will be a place for me to; Outline my treatment so far; to rant about the many many symptoms I am having post Thyroidectomy; and just a general insight into this rollercoaster they call living with cancer.

So I guess the best place to start would be first noticing the lump. For months I had been run down and depressed, which I had put down to stress at work and at home. However, after going to a&e on Boxing Day (a joyful experience) with chest pains and palpitations, the doctor immediately pointed out the lump in my neck, and told me to get it checked as soon as possible. Two days later, I was at the GP who requested a referral to the hospital given my symptoms and the size of the lump.

However, no referral was ever received and life went on. This is still a sore point, given the outcome.

In April, my symptoms went drastically downhill. I was sick almost everyday, the palpitations were constant, and I struggled to get through the day. Returning to the GP (different doctor by fluke), I was sent for blood tests, had an EKG, and the referral was sent for an ultrasound on my neck. The lump was now more pronounced and this was now a bigger cause for concern. I was to return to the GP in a weeks time for blood results and a check up.

So in I walk to the doctor who had seen me at Christmas. I was greeted with a faint apology and we got underway with another blood test. My veins are terrible and only give a sample 40% of the time. This was the day before my ultrasound and without any blood results not much could be done. I was sent off with a wish for 'nothing scary' to appear on the scans and off I went.

Anonymous