Weds 30th Nov , 2016

2 minute read time.
Wed. 30th Nov , 2016.
S & I arrived separately at the hospital, she via a lift from a friend , me via a train and 20 minute walk after working through the night.We arrived at the same time, 08.20 for an 08.30 appointment. After having to correct the receptionist , yet again , as to how to pronounce S's surname , we were called down to the kimo treatment room 40 MINUTES later. The only available chair was one stuck in a corner , next to the bin with no room to use a table ( coffee mug was perched on the window sill. ) I had already said to S in reception that a little voice was going off in my head telling me that today had something not quite right about it......something that even didn't happen on the first kimo day .
The usual routine started...........hand in a bucket of warm water to bring up a vein for the canula. That done , the assigned nurse came over to fit the canula. You could tell that she really didn't want to be there from her aloof manor , singing away to a track on the room's radio...." I'm horny .....horny , horny , horny . "............The track should have been dedicated to me...." Clowns to the left of me , jokers to the right , here I am , stuck in the middle with you ( S ) . " She caused S so much pain and still could fit the canula so she got another nurse to do it.
Then it started.
The Singing Nurse stated the amount of kimo medication had been changed.
NO IT FUCKING HASN'T.
She showed the file and the entry.
Now..................you may remember previously reading about a locum cancer doctor who changed the meds 2 kimo treatments ago ....without S's say-so................and that instruction had been ignored the during the last treatment ( with S's permission ).........and a telephone conversation with S's ASSIGNED KIMO DOCTOR confirmed that the medication should and will stay the same as first started.
Now.............SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE CHANGED THE INSTRUCTION AT SOME FECKING POINT IN THE FILE AND UPDATED IT....THAT IS , RED LINED THE LOCUM'S NOTE. FOR FECK'S SAKE.
The nurse went off to ask advice and we are left in the corner. She came back , and after all this dicking around , treatment finally started at 10am. More loud music from the radio stopped S having a snooze. And if you're ( the hospital ) going to have nurse conduct a medical procedure on a patient ( next to S ) ..can you please get a screen on wheels that covers ALL of the patient instead of just the front view..............it's not fecking rocket science.
Lunch was the usual.....a sandwich . packet of crisps and a coffee.
Three hours later the kimo was done , lines were then cleared..........and this episode of M*A*S*H was over.
I really hated this day...........more than any of the others.
A plaster was placed the area where the canula was.....but had to be replaced with a heavier one due to a lot of blood coming from the wound.
So , a lift home from another of S's friends and that was that .........4 down , 2 to go.
Next round of kimo is on the 21st of December.
Anonymous