The battle is over but the war continues

2 minute read time.

Today's blog is brought to you by the word remission and the number 13.

Sod that superstition nonsense, I've just had a cracking Friday the 13th.

Had always hoped - and in truth always expected - that I'd reach the point of remission, but it's still a fantastic feeling to hear the consultant say those magic words.

It's important to note what remission means, and what it doesn't mean.

The main thing is that it's not saying I'm cured. In fact Mantle Cell Lymphoma is non-cureable so that's not going to happen, at least until new drugs and research come through.

Here's a good definition I found online:

"A decrease in or disappearance of the signs or symptoms of cancer. In complete remission, all signs and symptoms of cancer have disappeared, although cancer may still be in the body."

So the six rounds of chemo did their thing and pretty much killed of the MCL.

A colonoscopy confirmed visually and via biopsies that this was the case in my large intestine, and today's CT Scan - my third - showed the same level of normality throughout the other 'hot spot' areas in my body.

Sadly this good news doesn't mean I can pack up and head home from the Western.

I need to complete the Stem Cell Transplant process to ensure that we get the longest possible remission period. It could make several years of difference to my overall prognosis.

That process is proving as mind-numbingly boring as I expected, if not worse.

I've been incredibly twitchy and on edge today. Not able to concentrate on anything for more than 5-10 mins. This blog will probably have taken me a couple of hours to complete, so I hope you appreciate the effort!

I've had the same cocktail of drugs as yesterday and probably a wee bit more sleep.

Managed most of a baked potato and tuna for lunch but the chilli con carne at tea time defeated me after a few forkfuls. And my snack snack remains untouched today.

Looks like a lovely evening outside my window. Would love to be out for a celebratory pint. But as I can't, if you are, then raise a wee glass to the cancer research community for me please.

A

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

That is brilliant news! My dad got diagnosed with cancer in November 2015 and my life hasn't been the same since.. He has his 6 weeks check up in June so hopefully he will get some good news like yourself.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

As a fellow MCL sufferer (wrong word, the Ibrutinib seems to be doing its job) I am looking forward to be given a date for my SCT.

I have duly had a pint of Fullers ESB - you would have enjoyed it. Let me know when you feel like another :-D

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sounds good to me. It's all about taking it one day at a time. Remember in our world 'boring' is good. We don't want any 'excitement'. When you wake up in the morning and don't see candles or lilies you know that you're winning! We may have cancer, but cancer doesn't have us!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

i dont quite know if im in remission or what. ( not to sure of the meaning ). but what i do know is i have so much memory loss. regarding things. im back at work after breast cancer stage 3. following a single mascetomy and lympth nodes removed. followed by chemo and radio therapy. in 2014... and since then i have trouble daily remembering things. i get told or asked to do something and with in a min or two ive forgotton what i had to do. i have to write every thing down. and its both frustrating and up setting. im constantly tired, test have shown the cancer has NOT returned. but im going through the im not going to be here much longer. my daughter is getting married in 2018 but i dont feel i be here.  my cons says the cancer has gone, but i keep getting told by others that have had it. "no you still got it until your life expectancy is reached" i was given 5 years.  so can any one help me. has it gone ? am i free ? am i in remission ?.