Phase 1: Blood Test to the diagnosis

1 minute read time.

Going to the doctors with a stiff neck on the 26th January 2018

My wife nagged me to get a PSA test while I was there, as my 71 year old brother had been diagnosed with Gleason 3:3 PCa 14 months earler and had gone private to get Brachytherapy, as his Oncologist wanted him on "Active Watch".

Well on 30th January the surgery phoned me to come in next day to see my GP, I already knew they didn't phone you to come in for a coffee and a chat!

My result was a PSA of 38. Took a while for it to sink in. I was fast tracked for a DRE on the 8th February. I was impressed by the speed, but the implications had still not registered.

Result was a moderately firm and enlarged prostate. Urologist said he would try to get me an MRI scan soon.

Next day I got a call "could I come in as there was a cancellation in an hour"! As I live 2 miles from the hospital I was in like a shot!

MRI showed no discernible metastasis, so I was fast tracked again and got a Trans Perenial Template Biopsy on the 1st of March, a date I will never forget as it snowed  like mad in the early hours and I was done at 10AM and after me the day case unit stopped all procedures as the next shift of staff could not get to work!

15th March I got the news I was Gleason 4:5 T2c. The first part was very bad news, but the latter was "Good news"!

So this part of my Blog really starts on 30th January with Blood test results and ends with diagnosis on 15th March, that's just over 6 weeks, i suppose that's not bad, but in the back of your mind is whats the PCa been up to since the blood test!

In the news is that there is a push to do what took me 6 weeks in 2  to 3 days, in my opinion this is feasible, with enough resources made available. Its strange that it took well known celebrities like Bill Turnbull and Stephen Fry to talk openly about their PCa before the Media and government get involved.

Anonymous