Stockholm Syndrome...

3 minute read time.

Stockholm Syndrome…

For the last three and a half years, I have often felt like I’ve watched someone else live my life. Like I’ve been a passenger in the car and just went along for the ride. People say ‘Where do you see yourself in five years?’ I lived from appointment to appointment so how am I supposed to imagine myself in five weeks never mind five years?

Now its like I’ve woken up, I’m the driver of the car and I’m on a road I’ve never bene down before. I can’t stop thinking about all this what feels like random stuff… How did I get here? Am I where I want to be? What do I really want from life? Have I just been plodding along? What did I even do for the last few years? What do I really enjoy doing? Have I done everything I wanted to? What does the rest of my life hold? Why has everyone else forgotten what’s happened? Is it really gone this time?

Is it possible that I can be grieving my cancer? I’ve lived with it on and off (mostly on) for the last four years, now that it’s maybe gone I think I miss it? How do I live without it? What is a ‘normal’ life? I’ve written about my ‘New Normal’ before and that worked for me for a while but now not so much. Of course I want to be healthy and don’t want to be attending constant hospital appointments, I’d love to not be a patient at all! I’m sure most people are absolutely delighted when they start to see the light in their cancer journey; I’ve seen the light three times now and then the light has gone back out. This time the light has stayed bright for more than a few months, the appointments are getting further apart and I am moving into more of a routine patient type scenario. Its great don’t get me wrong but I don’t particularly believe everything will be okay so I know that’s an issue. I think once I get further down the line and it’s maybe been a year or so of good results then I will start to believe it. Is that when my feelings towards it will change and I can start to move on from it?

As well I wonder Is it possible that this has taken away my capacity to love anyone or anything else? One, because I have been so obsessed by it and so consumed by it! Two, because I’m still in love with it? Or I’ve at least had some sort of a relationship with it. I can only compare it to Stockholm Syndrome, its about the only thing that makes logical sense in my head. Like cancer has been my captor and I’ve been taken hostage by it. I was taken hostage by it in a way – I didn’t want it, I didn’t ask for it, it just happened to me! Apparently it’s a survival strategy during captivity that people develop a psychological alliance with their captor. So maybe it’s just me trying to survive? That sounds so bazar but maybe to someone else it’ll make some sort of sense. I’d love to know if it’s just me who feels like this or if there are other people out there feeling similar?

Don’t get me wrong some amazing things have happened in my life since all this started and I’ve created lots of new memories. I’ve been to places that I never would have dreamed of before and YES I did enjoy doing it all. But now I have to do it all without my captor? I have to do it all on my own…

That’s scary... I'm scared to make the wrong decisions but hey - You only live once and I know that more than most!!

Anonymous
  • Hi Jena,

I found this to be a really interesting piece. I had never thought of cancer before in the terms of Stockholm Syndrome, but you articulated it really well.

As my cancer is in the blood, I've always had the feeling that it is a part of me, running throughout my whole body (as opposed to a tangible thing to be cut out of you). And I suppose psychologically, it probably will forever be so. But as time goes on, I believe the cancer monster of the mind becomes smaller and smaller, with other events and experiences crowding it out. I'm sure you'll feel that way soon. I suppose what I am trying to say is that cancer (at least emotionally) will always be a part of you, and in a way you probably should love it so that you can love yourself.

All the best,

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wow!  Amazing post Jena.  .  I wonder if it is a little like living in an abusive relationship where you have become dependant on the relationship and fear the unknown future.  I have lived a life with a lot of conflict in personal and professional relationships.  If something goes wrong I cannot let go - determined to fix the problem at all costs - mostly at my own expense.  I was so determined not to be seen as 'running away' I put myself at risk of harm both physically and emotionally.  But it did make me stronger in the long run and I was able to move foward into new opportunities and even found happiness in a new relationship.  I also learned to be friends again with my 'abusive' ex and can recognise the co-dependency which harmed us both.

I cannot escape the fact that I have cancer in my body but i can choose to live despite it.  My cancer diagnosis has made me adopt a more healthy lifestyle altogether and I am thinking of writing another book.  I haven't actually written a book yet but every time something has gone wrong in my life I start one and express all my thoughts and feelings in notes which eventually get filed away - in case I decide to finish it one day.  I keep telling myself I cannot die yet because I haven't finished my book.

All the very best moving forward and living the rest of your life.  Make it count.

• This is great Jena and well put.

I have been a passenger in my body during my 19 years journey with my type of blood cancer. In the early days I would look in the mirror and say 'who are you?' as my NHL presented on my skin and over this time my appearance changed from month to month. But I quickly came to the conclusion that it was me, it is who I am and I had to get in the driving seat and once I did this I felt I could live life better.

Looking back over the 19 years I have learnt so much about myself and how to deal with disappointment, pain, trauma and eventually remission. So for the first time in all these years my skin is perfect...... and it did take time to come to know myself again and live a new lifestyle where I can ware a pair of jeans and not go to bed covered in moisturiser wearing gloves and socks :)

This is an interesting paper by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

All the best to everyone on their journeys.