Friendships

3 minute read time.

There are so many different types of friendships and bonds we form with people. School friends, work friends, friends of friends, best friends, male friends, female friends, childhood friends. The list goes on. Friends come and go throughout your life and I've experienced a huge amount of the 'going' on my journey. 

Since my surgery there have been close friends of mine who I haven't even seen. Some who I haven't even heard from, not even a how are you doing? I've had people tell me they want to come and see me and want to know how I'm getting on. Yet I've never seen or heard much from them since I've been home. I have reevaluated a lot of my relationships with people and I often wonder should I be the one making more of an effort? However I remind myself of going through something like this isn't enough for people to even check in to ask how I am then why am I so bothered about it! I understand relationships in whatever sense are a two way street but when I think about what I would do if one of my friends had been in my situation I realise my side of the street is doing just fine! 

I'm not the easiest person to read, I put a front on and if you asked anyone about me they would probably say I was fine and I'm strong. So how do I tell the people I need the most that I'm falling apart inside? People are assuming I need some space so they're leaving me alone. Where do I even begin to tell them that they're so wrong and I want them around. All I want is people around me. I want to be that fun loving girl again, I want to go out, I want to be invited along to stuff, I want to laugh again! I want nothing more than to be laughing all the time again! 

My sister tells me I need to stop being bitter and accept the way people behave. It's acceptance she wants me to find and acceptance I am struggling to come to terms with. I think she's a bit sick of me talking about it to be honest, almost every time I see her all I can talk about is my friends of lack of. I'm so upset about it and I can't get it out of my head most of the time. She said I need to continue making an effort with the people who make an effort with me. I am doing that, I have a few people who know everything about the way I'm feeling. I spent lots of time with them however I am finding it really tough to just forget about everyone else and move on. I don't want to be the 28 year old with no friends. Who doesn't go out cause no one asks her. Or even worse the one who tags along and makes an effort with people who have a false friendship with me. 

Someone asked me would these friendships have fizzled out anyway and did it just need something challenging to confirm that? I guess that's something I'll never know however I do think they're probably right. People are selfish and I'm not perfect either, maybe some of my friends feel like I've been selfish throughout this and I haven't checked in with them enough or I haven't made enough effort. Who knows! 

Is it an age thing? 

Is it a maturity thing? 

Do people not know what to say? 

Am I the common factor in the relationship breakdowns? 

Or do people genuinely just not care all that much when it comes down to it? 

These are all questions I ask myself time and time again! 

I am so thankful for the people who have stuck around and walked with me through my difficult time. Those friends who have totally surprised me and exceeded my expectations... I love these people. They have helped me carry on and they have made me have faith that there are genuinely good people out there. The people who love me for me, me with scars, me with horrible mood swings, me who sometimes can't even see past next week and cancels plans all the time. I adore each and everyone of you, thank you for being you! 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Jena, pleased to meet you!

Please talk to someone about this.  I too had a bout of depression during my cancer treatments, in my case it was due to 'survivor guilt' ...I couldn't understand why someone like me, who wasn't worthy, should survive the cancers when so many lovely people I'd met along the way didn't make it.

For me, simply getting a decent night's sleep every night got my thoughts back in order and gave me the impetus to do the things I'd done in the past.  I'm afraid that I can't tell you which plant-based preparation helped me, that wouldn't be appropriate here, but I'm sure that someone could help.

Re-reading your post I can't help thinking that I wish my sister had been with me, unfortunately I live far away from my family, but perhaps being on my own forced me to do something about it.

Please, please find a way through - you're worth it!

Lots of hugs from me,

Dee.

• Hi Jena

I have had similar experiences with friendships. I have been shocked at the behaviour of some people who I thought would stick by me and have been pleasantly amazed by the kindness of people I didnt think I was that close to. Its been a lot to take in and I am still processing it.

I am trying not to think about it too much at the moment as only had my surgery 10 days ago and I know I am physically and emotionally drained. For me at the moment concentrating on my recovery in terms of neck stretches, healthy food and sleep is my number one priority. I do feel though that I will have to return to the the subject of friendships at some point and that some people will probably not be part of my life after this experience. It is very upsetting to be let down when you are vulnerable.

We have been through something very intense and we didnt choose this experience but we have managed to be brave and face it. Other people can choose to be part of it or walk away and that is up to them. I am trying not to be bitter but some days it is hard not to feel angry and disappointed by the actions of others.

Try not to take it personally. They are scared of cancer and trying to avoid thinking about it rather than avoid you.

Take care

xxx