My Pain in the Arse - SCC Anal Cancer

3 minute read time.

In Feb 2018, I attended a consultation, thinking I had haemorrhoids, after a quick examination and sigmoidoscopy, I was advised that it wasn’t haemorrhoids but was a tumour. It was a massive shock, I couldn’t believe he’d just told me I had cancer!

The doctor had taken a biopsy during the sigmoidoscopy which would be sent for analysis and would help to confirm the type of cancer, he thought it was rectal but couldn’t rule out it being anal.
He advised that I would need some tests and scans in order to determine the type and stage of the cancer. 
I underwent a series of scans and tests within the following 2 weeks.
Colonoscopy- the day before was bowel prep day, this was far from pleasant but needs must!
On arrival, I met with the nurse who went through the paperwork and explained the procedure. I then changed into a gown and was taken though to the colonoscopy room, I was given a sedative through a canula in the back of my hand and was given oxygen through a nose piece. The procedure was fine, perhaps a little uncomfortable at moments but totally bareable. I found it fascinating to be watching the procedure on the screen and being told “there’s your appendix!” How many people get to see their own appendix? Following the procedure, I was moved to recovery where I was able to rest until I felt ready to get up and dressed.
Then I was taken to the sitting room for a
much needed cuppa and pack of biscuits.

CT scan- on arrival at the department, I was given a jug of water and told to drink this within the next hour. 
Then into the Scanner room. I had ensured that my clothing did not have any metal and had left all of my jewellery at home. I laid on the scanner bed, they needed to inject a dye halfway through the scan, so I was attached to a mechanical driver to the vein in my arm. 
The scan began, the bed moved and there was a whirring noise but all fine, halfway through they told me that I would now feel the dye being injected, I felt the warmth in my arm and it travelling through my body, I developed a strange taste at the back of my mouth and had a warm feeling that felt like i’d wet myself. This feeling didn’t last long and it was expected as they had advised me of the feeling before the scan began.
I admit that I felt a bit emotional afterwards as it was the realisation that this would be showing the cancer in my body.

MRI- on arrival at the department, I met the radiographer and completed the paperwork, then I changed into a gown and was taken through to the scanner. As mine was a pelvic/bowel MRI I had an injection to relax the bowel in order for the bowel to be as still as possible. 
They placed a board onto my pelvic area and strapped me snuggly with velcro straps, then the bed moved into position within the scanner. I was given headphones so I could listen to music during the scan and it helps to drown out the noise (it is very loud and sounded like I was on a building site)  I had a pump in one hand that I could squeeze if I wanted to alert the radiographers if I needed to get their attention.
The radiographer spoke to me regularly during the scan, she told me how long the next scan would be and how I was doing well and asked if I was ok. The whole process was fine, it’s just important to lie as still as possible. 
I was in there for about an hour, once it was over, I could get changed and go home to get on with my usual plans.

Just had to wait for all of the results now....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday 3rd May 2018

Radio number 28

I rang the bell!!!

I did it, I made it through this gruelling treatment and rang the bell, there to watch was my husband, Mum and Dad, Mum and father in law.

I thought that I’d be able to do it easily and that I wouldn’t get emotional, but the moment I walked around the corner and saw the bell, I instantly became choked up! I calmed and even through the emotion managed to read the little poem and then I rang that bell! Best feeling ever, my family all found it very emotional, as did some of the other people waiting in the area.

My husband videoed it so we could share with family and friends. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tuesday 8th May 2018

It’s been a beautiful bank holiday weekend, the sun has shone.

I’ve had a few ups and downs over the weekend, my broken skin is very sore and it has gotten me down. Going for a wee is agony, stings so badly, I have tried pouring water whilst having a wee but it’s still very painful. On Saturday night,

I went the toilet ‘properly’ and the pain was so bad that I just sat on my bed and cried! Luckily hubby came up, gave me lots and lots of hugs and kisses and encouraging comments, he made me feel better, he helped me dose up again on pain killers and tucked me up in bed. He’s been amazing! Love him so much xxx

Sunday, I felt better in myself, my sister in law visited and although I was just sitting quiet all day, at around 4pm, I became overwhelmingly tired and had to go to bed for a few hours!

Monday was bank holiday and a very sunny day, I sat in the garden, hubby did a barbecue, it was great. I felt fairly comfortable. A really lovely day. Went to bed feeling fine, 1am up with diarrhoea same at 2am and again at 3am, managed to sleep until 8am then it started again. Trouble is this just makes you feel more and more sore and therefore more miserable! Think it’s a stay in bed day!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

T

This has been helpful reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your journey. Hope all is well with you. It must help a lot to have such a lovely family around you , supporting you. Sending strength in your vulnrable moments & spiritual love to you for a complete healthy recovery .

• I was diagnosed in March, just as I was about to go sailing for 2 months from Cape Town to Antigua. Crewing, not sitting in luxury. My husband thinks I am quite mad. I now have 10 days left of radiotherapy and capecitabin tablets left. I started with a Mytomycin infusion. It is a pain in the arse, literally! However I have put on too much weight and have no side effects other than the pain in my nether regions. They have really only started recently. I have written a blog of my anal canal journey, which might help - although only if you have a black sense of humour. Let me know if you would like to read it, I will send you the link. You can get through this, as we all are. Best wishes.