Expat Brit currently being treated overseas...my HPV journey

• Christmas 2018

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, second Christmas post-treatment approaches...albeit just under 13 months since last radiotherapy session.

2019 will be interesting with a new job and a focus on new physical challenges. Ultra challenge 50k is the target. The dry mouth remains a pain in the @rse, but there will be a way to overcome that.

My rescued one-eyed kitten has become rather a great companion out here in the sandpit. Looking forward to getting…

• 12 months follow-up appointment...boom!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today was the appointment with the consultant just shy of 12 months (by a week or two) since I finished my chemoradiotherapy regime. Inevitably a degree of apprehension (slight), although I would not really talk that up particularly. In many respects it was a case of just getting on with it and dealing with whatever he told me.

The ultrasound scan was 10 days ago and as I had received no call to say, "Umm, can you come…

• Approaching 12 month scan

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So, next week (4 November) I have an ultrasound scan of head and neck. That will be roughly one year on from the date that my chemoradiotherapy regime finished (28 November). The surgeon decided that he didn't want me to have a further PET CT (although I have only ever had the one when they first wanted to try to establish the extent of the spread last August), because it is more radiation and he thinks it can be avoided…

• One year on and up a mountain

FormerMember
    FormerMember

A little while ago, I decided that I needed to do something to mark the anniversary (thereabouts) of the delightful diagnosis and surgery. So, I set my sights on returning to one of my favourite places, Snowdonia.

I had last been up the mountain around 6 years ago, before our move to the Middle East. My younger son was due to have his A-Level results on 16 August and I wanted to come back for those if at all possible…

• One year on from...diagnosis!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Monday 14 August 2017: Just after 10:00 am on Monday 14 August 2017, I was called through to see one of the surgical team who had been involved in my surgery the previous week. We had turned up about an hour early, having left plenty of time for teh cab to get us through the potentially busy Doha traffic. As it was the height of summer, there was not so much traffic on teh road (people do still try to get away for prolonged…