Approaching 12 month scan

1 minute read time.

So, next week (4 November) I have an ultrasound scan of head and neck. That will be roughly one year on from the date that my chemoradiotherapy regime finished (28 November). The surgeon decided that he didn't want me to have a further PET CT (although I have only ever had the one when they first wanted to try to establish the extent of the spread last August), because it is more radiation and he thinks it can be avoided.

It's an odd situation and frankly I have no idea what might show up - hopefully nothing of any concern! Feeling pretty good in myself apart from the obvious and inevitable ongoing side-effects; but they are manageable. At the last MRI there were a couple of 'sub-centimetric lymph nodes showing, but the view was that they were nothing to be concerned about; most likely just a reaction to the brutal assault the neck had received over the course of 7 weeks last year. On the one hand it would be reassuring to know that the PET CT had discounted any further issues. However, if the surgeon's view is that he'd prefer not to do it, then I will place my trust in that clinical judgment. After all, the last thing I want is to get false readings from a PET CT (as I had before when it in correctly suggested possible 'nasties' in the stomach and nasopharynx) which turn out to be normal activity being picked up by the contrast medium!

So, 28 November is actually the one year 'survivor' post...life has changed rather a lot, but crack on! I'll check back in after the 14 Nov appointment. Eek!

Cheers,

J.

Anonymous