Ups and Downs

Less than one minute read time.

Well the last couple of days has felt like being on a roller coaster.  on one hand there are so many positive stories about surviving stage 4 colon cancer.  i read these stories and feel such hope that Darren (my husband) could survive this horrible disease, In the next breath I look at statistics that are dreadful and my stomach feels like it has a boulder in it.

Yesterday the coli rectal nurse rang Darren to let him know what is going to happen over the coming days.  She explained that on Friday the consultants that form the multi-discipline team are going to discuss Darren’s case and work out a treatment plan.  He will probably have to have a another biopsy to determine which treatment will work best.    

I feel at the moment that the only way to try to get through all this is to try and forget that this bloody nightmare is happening, that Darren is on holiday from work and that we should make the most of having him with us.  its so scary and our lives are in the hands of the medical professionals and god.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there

Two weeks ago I too was a happy little camper but was slammed with a diagnosis of late stage endometrial cancer. Too late for surgery, chemo starts tomorrow.

All I can say is tristyour consultant and devote your energies to the treatment, which I am sure will be challenging. I have found huge comfort from others on the site, their wise words and concern.

Doesn't mean to say I am not scared witless, having trouble sleeping, rushing to the loo every. 5 minutes as!

Hope your husband's treatment goes well. Let us know how he gets on. Please also look after yourself

,Hugs coming your way

Dogspire

XXxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi jackielou.Sorry to hear about your husband,,I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer about august 2017.Stage 3 cancer,tumour was only about 2cm in length and the same in diameter.but the tumour was well low down..when I first saw my surgeons registrar and when he was explaining to me what they were gonna do,he was drawing diagrams n stuff,then he said I would have an ostomy bag,i asked,what for a few months,no for the rest of my life..well it was like  someome hit me with a bat round my head.i wasn't expecting that answer..the post op team were very good.they explained to me about my operation and what they were gonna do.The stoma team were excellent too.everyone I saw were saying sorry,as I said to them all,it is what is,you all got a job to do and i have to live with it.my operation was 5hrs,i spent about 12 days in hospital,about 6 days in intensive care,6days on normal ward..

I reckon I had that tumour nearly 2yrs,i thought I had piles,how wrong was I..My tumour was like pac man in me..My surgeon and stoma team couldn't believe how positive I was,but I couldn't dwell on it.yes it has got me down andi do get angry with myself at times and I still get down days.I had 6 months of chemo,which I finished in july 2017.i had 4 goodmonths out of 6..I still get some of the side affects now..I dealt with the cancer most of the time on my own..I've had to change my diet drastically.I always ate healthy before,but more now..When I think back,i was given 12 to 18months to live without the operation..

What ever help your hospital overs,take it all and their advice..I followed it all to the letter..

Good luck to you and your hubby,i hope something that I have wrote has helped a bit.. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for your comments, it really has helped knowing that others are going through similar situations.  We are still waiting for tests to be done before Darren starts treatment.  I’m probably going to ring up on Monday and be pushy, sick to death of waiting, he is already stage 4, and it’s growing without some form of medication to hopefully stop it!   Feel a little tense and angry today, husband also feels like he’s waiting on tenterhooks.    X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there, I’m sorry that you are facing this terrible disease and wanted to say you are not alone.

This time last year I was just about to start radiotherapy for breast cancer but on the same day I told my family about my diagnosis, my younger sister (46 at the time) dropped the bombshell that she had bowel cancer that has metastised to her liver and lungs.

It did seem like forever before her treatment started and it took an age to get a firm diagnosis because of where her tumour was situated within her bowel. I had googled just about every possible thing from the effects, to life expectancy etc etc, and was quite convinced we’d lose her within a year.......we are now both 14 months post diagnosis, I’m back to work and my sister is very much alive and kicking and still living life to the full.

She has already completed 6 months of chemo, during which she ended up with a colostomy, however is coping well and we now have “Stella the stoma”!! After a few months break she’s back on chemo again and still happy to take everything they are going to give her in the way of treatment. Everyone is different, and we have tried to face this as a family by getting on with life as normal (as much as possible), with a bit of dark humour thrown in too! People can go on for quite some time even with this kind of diagnosis and I wish you courage and hope in this journey that you are about to face together x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mrsmacv that is really awful that you and your sister have had to go through this.  Gives me hope that your both well and getting on with life.  Darren has had to give up his job in Middle East, hes on sick pay at present but that will end at some point.  I think all our family are in for a change, with Darren's illness and me not working at present.  Our eldest son goes to University this year and my middle one  starts his GCSEs in the summer, so i want to make everything as stress free as possible in the circumstances.

xx