The bikes

1 minute read time.

Part of my new life was rediscovering my love of motorbikes, at the age of 40, I learnt to ride.

Struggling to add photos, will keep trying...

May 2009, First Bike: 1992 Honda CG125 named Baby as it was so small next to partner's Moto Guzzi

A few months later I passed my test, the CG promptly broke on the day I took the L plates off so had to rapidly buy a new one

November 2009 Second Bike: 1997 Yamaha Fazer 600 originally named HOCLBRI (or Hoci for short) because I'm a sad chemistry geek (explanation in tattoo blog later). Later the Fazer was renamed Lazarus after rising from the dead and being an all round fantastic bike which just keeps going

April 2011 Third Bike: 2008 Suzuki SV650 named Steve. This one came whilst Fazer was in it's dead phase and was the love of my life - years spent riding, I never thought I would get rid of it. Did a few rides raising money for various breast cancer charities including a very emotional joining in the BreastWayRound Scotland crew a few years ago

Sadly, my secondary Breast Cancer mets in my bones began to cause me problems with pain in my left arm and I began to worry I wouldn't be able to ride anymore. Came to a head when riding in France in the summer and when I returned home I decided to investigate if I could find something easier to ride

August 2017 Fourth Bike: 2017 Triumph Bonneville T100 named Bruce. It is beautiful (Matt Black), significantly easier to ride due to lower centre of gravity - arms bent rather than stretched. 

Radiotherapy to my arm has removed most of the pain, but I'm not giving the bike up! I often think that if it wasn't for my diagnosis I would not have such a beautiful bike which is so much fun to ride - it's hiding in the garage at the moment as roads are full of salt, so old faithful Lazarus is back in use till the spring.

Anonymous