Complementary therapies and stuff I have tried

2 minute read time.

Reflexology at Jane Scarth House: while I'm not 100% convinced of the scientific validity of this, I thought I'd give it a try thinking "what harm can it do?". A few months down the line, I am attending regularly (once a fortnight) and I love it. Whether or not it has any healing powers, I don't know but it is very relaxing, and that in itself helps me to deal with the pain - which is after all its stated objective. Big Thank You to Jane Scarth House in Romsey - if you are anywhere near, check them out , they're not too scary and don't bat too many eyelids at this weird tattooed biker that turns up and leaves a trail of bike gear all over the floor!

Cannabis: tried once, didn't seem to have any affect. Not bothered to try again as it's not that simple to get hold of.

Reiki at Macmillan Centre: went for an Indian Head Massage at local Macmillan centre, but lady who was doing it decided that we should check with oncologist because of my skull mets so offered me reiki instead. Again I went with  the "what harm can it do?" attitude. Did nothing for me and I couldn't really relax after the practitioner had made some light hearted quip about spell casting. She quickly retracted when she realised that made me uncomfortable but I won't be going back for another session.

Mindfulness/Meditation: still in training - I think it's doing me good but I find it really difficult. Went to Penny Brohn - more about that in a separate blog - and has made me start to think, however when we did a basic imagery session I found I couldn't do it at all. Subsequent return to Penny Brohn has prompted me to buy some guided relaxation CDs. I find counting breaths especially helpful for relaxation.

Support Group meetings: I find these really helpful - to meet other people with cancer and to feel free to talk about it. Have been attending monthly meetings of Hampshire Secondary Breast Cancer Group and just joined Hampshire Breast Cancer Friends with whom I had a lovely coffee & cake meeting recently.

Yoga at Macmillan Centre: Based on chair yoga, very gentle and soothing - booked a few more sessions.

Things in pipeline:

Acupuncture at Macmillan Centre

Hypnotherapy at Macmillan Centre

Indian Head Massage

Counselling at Macmillan Centre

Les Chapeaux de Martine project UK

Cancer Warriors Calendar: I've been invited to take part in producing a bikers' cancer awareness calendar which will feature women (and men) with cancer on their bikes and showing off tattoos, hoping to raise money for cancer charities - exact details still being planned but I'm very excited about it. I was inspired by our very own Singing Biker when I read a line in his blog " a biker with cancer is still a biker". Thank You Thomas :-)

Anonymous