Stomach Cancer - My journey

• 221217 - Two weeks post op

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Two weeks ago now, 8th December, I was lying in ICU having spent 8 hours in OR. When I came round I was happy to hear that they had left me with 20% of my stomach. They had managed to perform the sub total gastrectomy by keyhole surgery which was a huge relief. My surgeon had told me that was the plan but also gave me the spiel about how things could change when they put the camera in for a look. I know that they have…

• 071217 - Upcoming Gastrectomy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, I've negotiated my way through 4 sessions of FLOT chemo. Next hurdle coming up is "the biggie"!  In four hours I'll be making my way to hospital and will undergo a gastrectomy tomorrow. Whilst I'm quite apprehensive about the surgery the worst moment was yesterday when I wrote a letter to my daughter incase the worst should happen! I'm trying to remain positive but it's the old adage "Prepare for the worst and hope…

• First chemo - 120917

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Had my first chemo session. It started on Wednesday 6th Sept. Two days in hospital and it went quite well. No nausea, although they did give me anti-nausea drugs. Came home Friday afternoon, felt quite tired and slept like a log Friday night. A friend popped in to see me Saturday lunchtime and brought some beautiful flowers. After she left I decided to go in for a shower and then the fun started! I  started to feel a…

• 080218 - Two down, two to go

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just completed the second of my post-op chemo sessions. This was the first time that it was done as an outpatient. Mind you, I still spent all day at the hospital on Tuesday. I was there at 8.15 and was finally sent home at 16.15 with a portable pump to dispense the last drug which takes 24 hours. They were rushing to finish and I think they pushed the drugs through a bit fast! The neuropathy in my fingers has been much…

• 070618 - At last some Good News

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today was the day I was looking forward to and dreading in equal measure - Results Day.

I had already received a copy of my blood analysis in the post and a couple of results were out with the norms but since I'm not a medical person.....

The doctor told me to turn the page over and look at the tumour markers. It showed 1.8 (should be <5). I said that last time it was 1.6 so did that mean it was going up. He reassured…