Stomach Cancer - My journey

• 040618 - First Quarterly Check-up

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is now three months since treatment finished. Today I have my first quarterly check with a CT scan, abdominal ultrasound and blood tests. I've been awake since 5.30am. Apprehensive, moi?

• 070618 - At last some Good News

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today was the day I was looking forward to and dreading in equal measure - Results Day.

I had already received a copy of my blood analysis in the post and a couple of results were out with the norms but since I'm not a medical person.....

The doctor told me to turn the page over and look at the tumour markers. It showed 1.8 (should be <5). I said that last time it was 1.6 so did that mean it was going up. He reassured…

• 030918 - Check up 2

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Almost 9 months post surgery.  Where has the time gone?

Just completed my second follow-up with the oncologist. He did an ultrasound on my abdomen and all appears to be fine. He did say that he wanted me to have a PET scan in October.  Naturally the fear kicks in, so I asked if that was a normal part of the process. He explained that the ultrasound only covers the abdomen.  The CT scan I had in June covers from the thorax…

• CHEMO 4 - 071117

FormerMember
    FormerMember

After a two week holiday in Scotland I embarked on my fourth chemo session or "cocktail" as a fellow patient prefers to call it. Passed without incident other than the inevitable tiredness and the neuropathy. This is the last pre-op chemo.  On being discharged from hospital my oncologist gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek and said he was crossing his fingers for me.

Met with the surgeon on Monday. I'll have…

• 071217 - Upcoming Gastrectomy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, I've negotiated my way through 4 sessions of FLOT chemo. Next hurdle coming up is "the biggie"!  In four hours I'll be making my way to hospital and will undergo a gastrectomy tomorrow. Whilst I'm quite apprehensive about the surgery the worst moment was yesterday when I wrote a letter to my daughter incase the worst should happen! I'm trying to remain positive but it's the old adage "Prepare for the worst and hope…