Here we go again!!!

1 minute read time.

I first felt the lump in my right breast whilst taking a shower. Apparently a lot of women notice lumps this way as the skin is more slippery and the lump easier to feel. My first reaction was shock. I knew my chances of Breast Cancer were higher due to being treated with Chemotherapy and radiation Therapy for Leukaemia in 2001. It’s strange as I always had a funny feeling I would get Breast Cancer. Particularly as my Mum, her cousin and my Aunt also had Breast Cancer. All three are healthy and well today.

Due to my family history I was already on a family screening programme at the Royal Marsden and I spared no time in contacting them to review the lump. They were amazing and were able to make an appointment the next day. My last Mammogram was four moths previous to finding the lump and this was scary considering it had been either missed or growth that quickly in such a short space of time. The lump looked suspicious on an ultrasound and a biopsy was taken. On the way home I felt so small and kicked and it was all I could do not to cry until I got home. Be strong, I kept telling myself like a mantra. I have conquered it once and will do so again.

Wracked with nerves, the next week with my parents and boyfriend in tow I sat in the waiting room waiting for the diagnosis. For me, it’s the not knowing that is the worse part. Your mind plays back and forth to having cancer and dying to then trying to reassure yourself you don’t.  I had Triple Negative Breast Cancer. If it was going to be cancer, I was hoping for the same type ‘Lobular’ as my mum and aunt as this usually can be treated with surgery and Radiation Therapy without Chemotherapy. However, it was not to be and I in fact had an aggressive Grade 3 tumour needing Chemotherapy also. On the bright side, the tumour was caught early at 1.5cm and given it is aggressive is particularly responsive to Chemotherapy. I was lucky to have an amazing response to the Chemo and am thankful each day. xx

Anonymous