Days 23,24,25,26

2 minute read time.

Treatments #17,18,19

Still going reasonably well with no escalation of any side-effects. Skin around treatment area a little redder and more tender, a little more hair loss, but nothing too drastic. Tongue now beginning to feel a little sore again, but this may be down to the fact I only had one day off this weekend. To make up for the bank holiday I had a Saturday appointment this week.

The downside of it all is that there is now very little food I can taste now, so I am experimenting with different textures. Thursday brought about a trip to the supermarket to garner a range of sausages, as these had been the last food I had overtly enjoyed. Hoisin and ginger were the pick of the flavours we brought home. I also can slightly taste the peppery-ness of Cumberland, so these are in the basket, along with some smoked hot dogs.

In hindsight, I am sad to say that these do not taste strongly of anything. The only food I have enjoyed for a few days now has consisted mainly of eggs (fried, scrambled), toast (as a vehicle for transporting butter to my mouth) and milk shakes. I briefly rallied when the taste of brown sauce cut it for a day or two, but that has faded now.

Eating is a bit of a chore as halfway through any meal, I lose the will to chew any more.

My wife tries to keep me interested by mixing weird ice-cream based beverages, and to some extent these work. As thanks, she has to share a room with someone who has eaten baked beans and eggs twice today, (chortle) There is nothing wrong with my sense of smell yet, even I had to leave the room once.

Friday brought about a small surge in energy levels, as having decided that the replacement garage will now be built from concrete blocks, we visited a local builders merchant to price stuff up. Somehow, this became a transaction to buy 450 concrete blocks, a ton of sand and about a ton of other materials. Thanks, Wife, for having faith in my abilities as a builder. (I was a pub landlord and chef for most of my working life, and am currently a desk jockey). 

I can say that having been let down by a plasterer before my surgery, I did do a large wall in our living room purely by watching youtube and applying what I had seen.

Youtube however does not show the sweaty bits, as having been to my treatment on Saturday, we arrived home to find the delivery of 8 tons of material on our drive. In no particular order. I have spent most of Saturday, and half of Sunday shifting this stuff to the potential garage site, so that we can once again park the car. 

Thanks, internet, for nothing.

Anonymous