Day two...

2 minute read time.

So. I went and saw what all the fuss is about. My chic velcro powered top is funky and facilitates a 'full monty' type undressing by the radiologist after I am strapped to the table in the machine. Mask feels tighter than I remember, but still bearable. Whirr, buzz, clang, all done for day one.

Wife says 'let's go and get some shopping', so I agree to a wizz round Tesco. They also have a new machine where you can enter your clubcard details and see if there are any vouchers you haven't used. Result. £62 worth of vouchers to spend on shopping.

So there I was, paying a visit to all my favourite foods (and buying them) in anticipation of not being able to eat them at some indeterminate time in the near future. Also I'm in a fantasy world of soft food for aforementioned indeterminate time, so I have a pile of tinned soup and soft pasta type ingredients, rice pudding, custard, etc, to the point where it looks like that scene in Trainspotting where Euan McGregor is stockpiling to go cold turkey withdrawal from heroin. 

Strange looks from fellow shoppers ensue.

Food for this week includes two whole chickens to joint and fry (I love fried chicken), Lamb's liver (for tea tonight), chicken wings, pastrami, a piece of brisket, and some puff pastry to make pies with.

Healthy stuff, I know.

For next week or later, I have instant mash, pot noodles, yoghurt drinks, tinned macaroni cheese, soup and Warburtons bread and pounds of butter. I have to say, I don't feel very prepared.

On the way home I ask her to drop me at the GP's so I can arrange for a prescription exemption form to be issued.

All good so far, a slight throbbing around the wound site, which I am almost convinced is semi-psychosomatic. 

Home and a cup of tea, and the throbbing is starting to build in a non specific location somewhere between the roots of my molars, through the jawbone, and into my middle ear. 

Two ibuprofen don't touch the pain which has now built to a crescendo, so I also take a couple of paracetamol, which eventually tone it down a few notches.

Liver and onions with mash and gravy seems to be exactly what my palate needed, and while the throbbing in my face goes on this feast of deliciousness serves to distract me from it.

The pain eventually subsides about 4 hours after the pain killers, so I take more!

Already I can feel my throat tightening, so I take water to bed with me.

This morning I have woken feeling next to no pain, and am happily drinking a gallon of tea before I go to my next session, but slightly concerned that I have never read about the immediate pain I experienced yesterday, only the gradual build-up after a few sessions. I will ask the radiologist about this today.

Here we go again, fried chicken for tea tonight! 

Anonymous